How to brew a 1/2bbl at a time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
This question centers more around fermentors. I would imagine you need a 20 gallon mash tun / boil kettle to make enought beer to fill a keg.

15.5 gallons is the standard volume to fill it up.

The question then becomes what do you ferment in? I have seen kegs converted to fermentors but including head space would you not need more like a 20 gallon fermentor?

What are most people using to ferment and be able to fill up a full keg when they are done?

Right now I am brewing 5.5 gallon batches fermented in 6.5 gallon carboys. Gives me 5 gallons to completly filla corney keg.

But I am not seeing alot of inexpensive stainless options for filling a 1/2bbl from the fermentor

Better option might be to brew 10-12 gal and ferment in a sanke keg. Unless you want to step up o a larger fermenter.

I just started fermenting 1/2 keg batches in a 20 gallon stainless kettle. Be forewarned, with a batch this big you will likely need to control the temp of fermentation. I keep mine in a plastic tub and toss in a little ice a few times a day to keep it in check.

People have used rubbermaid trash cans...search a bit...certain ones are food grade AFAIK. Another option is an HDPE 30 gal barrel.

Back