Little Sumpin Sumpin Extract Clone - BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven1a

Reaction score
Hey homebrew gurus. I did an attempt at a conversion of the Can You Brew It recipe for Little Sumpin Sumpin. Some of the hops got excluded due to the reduced volume of the batch and the actual boil (I do 3 gallons boils at the moment.) The numbers are pretty damn close with the exception of the color, but I'm pretty okay with the color being darker if it tastes anywhere close.

This is all according to BeerSmith:

Boil volume - 3 gallons
Boil time - 90 minutes
Batch size - 5 gallons

2lbs Torrified Wheat - Steaped
6lbs pale LME
4lbs Wheat DME
2oz Nugget - 90min
2oz Willamette - 45min
2oz Santiam - 15 min
1oz Cascade - Dry hop
1oz Centenial - Dry hop
1oz Chinook - Dry hop
1oz Columbia - Dry hop

Safale S-04 x 2pkgs.

OG - 1.080
FG - 1.020
IBU - 62.2
Color - 9.6SRM
ABV - 7.9%

I wouldn't rely on a partial boil with 2 gallons of top off water to deliver near the same quality as a full volume boil... especially for a hoppy pale beer. Better to boil 4 gallons for 60 minutes and be left with 3 gallons of a great beer than to boil 3 gallons for 90 minutes, top off with 2 gallons of plain water, and have 5 gallons of a mediocre beer. The level of quality that I was able to obtain with full volume boils was night and day from previous partial boils.

-I don't think torrified wheat is steepable. It should be mashed with a base malt. I would sub part of the extract with wheat malt and/or 2-row.
-I'm pretty sure they used three or four different types of wheat - Wheat malt, flaked, toasted, and -torrified. Though I wouldn't worry about using torrified or flaked for a Partial Mash version.
-Total wheat was approx. 50% of the grist if memory serves.
-They also use English yeast.
-Your FG is too high and Color is too dark.
-By Columbia, I assume you meant Columbus?
-I know they like to use Santiam, but this is an odd choice for me having worked with it before...and I don't think too many people buy it regularly so I'd be worried about freshness. Lagunitas probably gets a regular supply of a special type of super-fresh Santiam straight from one regular supplier. I'd opt for a Willamette/Nugget blend at flameout and dryhop with Centennial/Amarillo.
-IBUs will probably not match your projections (or at least taste like 61 IBUs on the palate)
-Try adding 2# extract at 15 minutes for better hop utilization and less melanoidin formation.

Back