REAL Philly Steak Sandwich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Growing up in eastern PA, I learned to enjoy a good steak sandwich. For some reason, you just can't get a good one anywhere else. I have pretty much given up on ordering them anywhere but "back home." Outside of the "motherland," I've been served everything from a slab of overcooked cube steak with cheddar cheese to hamburger with bad tomato sauce to a decent cut of filet mignon with a bunch of seasonings and sauce in the name of a "steak sandwich." Here's the right way to do it:

Meat:
4-6 oz GOOD steak, almost frozen
Ribeye is best. Any good cut of beef with a bit of marbling and little gristle works. Cut it as absolutely thin as possible - when it's really cold, it cuts easier. Use a deli slicer on the thinnest setting if you have one.

Cheese (choose one):
Cheese Whiz (yes, the Whiz!)
Provolone
White American
Mozzarella
NOT Swiss or Cheddar!

Toppings (completely optional):
Thinly sliced onions (arguably the only appropriate topping)
Thinly sliced peppers (green, red, hot, mild, etc - not necessarily authentic)
Thinly sliced mushrooms (not necessarily authentic)

Bread:
A GOOD hoagie roll
White, soft throughout, crust should be soft, not chewy or crispy
A French roll will do in a pinch if the crust isn't too tough

Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Be careful with the heat - too much will leave you with burned bits, and too little will make the meat chewy and gray. Toss a bit of butter or olive oil into the pan, and add the meat. Leave it alone for about a minute, then toss any desired toppings on top. If you want to stay true to style, no seasoning is required. A little salt and pepper is nice. I sometimes add some garlic salt and onion powder. Break up the steak with a pair of spatulas, tearing it into small pieces, browning it on all sides. Don't mess with it too much. When there's little pink remaining, pile the steak and toppings up, and add the cheese (unless it's Whiz - wait till the end for that). Warm the roll face down on the skillet if desired. When the cheese is mostly melted, pile the whole mess into the roll, and serve (now add the Whiz if that's your choice of cheese).

You can put ketchup, mustard, relish, or hot sauce on it, but I prefer mine sans condiments...unless it's a...

Pizza Steak:
Use mozzarella and top with marinara sauce

ANYTHING ELSE IS NOT A PHILLY STEAK!!!

Serve with Yuengling Lager, other local micro lagers, or (gasp!) a cold BMC.

Barley-Davidson said:
Pat's or Geno's
For me - no preference - I just want a good steak!

There are those who say differently, but as far as I'm concerned, you can go up to about 60 miles west of Philly and still get a decent steak from a few places.

EDIT:
My response here proves that I'm not a true Philadelphian. If I were, I'd have picked one steak place, argued its merits until I was blue in the face using mostly verbal abuse and insults, all the while throwing things at the computer monitor and actually yelling out loud. No, I don't have the accent, no I didn't grow up in Philly, but yes, I do know a good steak. I was born and raised a few miles west of the city in a fairly rural town.

Yah, there's a "philly" brewpub in Portland, good beer, decent steak sandwiches, but not phillies. Italian beef seems to be easier to replicate. Always reminds me of Chitown & my father. I've got a local source of deli sliced ribeye and there's a baker in Willimina who is a wizard, so I'm covered.

A couple of Philadelphia boys opened up Tat's in Seattle about 3 years ago. It's the best Philly Cheesesteak I've had outside of the City of Brotherly Love. I order mine "Whiz wit" of course.

Barley-Davidson said:
Pat's or Gino's

My friend from Philly quoted me some other place, can't recall off the top of my head. Gotta love how wierd that section of town is at night lol.

A huge trick to a good cheese steak is in the roll. The favorite in philly is Amoroso. Not sure how the chemistry works, but it is the one thing any non philly based "authentic" shop cannot replicate.

Tony Luc's is my fav, then Pats.

I don't know a single person that actually likes the wiz on their steak that lives around here....yet when folks come to town for a cheese steak, they gotta have the wiz from Pat's or Geno's. Between the two, I have pref'd Geno's.

With out a doubt, it's Jim's Steaks on south street for my first choice.

brewt00l said:

I think that's the one my friend said.

Yeah I know, we were in Philly one night and out of 'been there' obligation we went to Geno's and of course I had to try Pat's too. It was wierd man. Geno's like burned my eyeballs out from the neon and Pat's seemed dim and had some wierd folk hanging round. They were ok I guess. It was interesting to see the limo's pull up for cheesteak.

A nice recipe, Yuri.
One thing I like to do, if I don't use the almost-frozen steak method, is this:
Buy a nice looking London Broil. Heat your grill to as hot as it will get (yes, your propane barbecue grill) with cover on. WHen it is super pre-heated, throw the London Broil onto it quickly (I usually brush mine lightly with some olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper) and close lid quickly. After one minute, open grill, turn london broil 90 degrees and lay it onto a new hot-spot on the grill, and close cover quickly. After one more minute, open grill and flip steak over. After a minute or two on this side, turn off the propane and don't peek. Now, while london broil is resting you can slice up and start to pre-cook your peppers, onions, mushrooms. While those are on, get the london broil off the grill, and put it onto a cutting board, Slice thinly across the grain. Then make multiple cuts with the grain to get the pieces to be smaller. They will be medium-rare, and edible at this point. Now I make the steak subs on a per-order basis - so everyone gets a hot sandwich with hot melted cheese. I make my own one last - so it's either the biggest one or the smallest one. Yummy, and the chargrill taste is subtle but really adds another dimension to the flavor of the end product! Jeez, I might need to make these tonight, got my mouth watering just thinking about it~!!

Tony Lukes gets my vote also...but in Browns Mills, NJ there's a place called Broadway Takout that serves a mighty tasty Cheese Steak Deluxe...mayo on roll, cheese steak, lettuce, tomato, a little bit of onion...mmmmm!!:D

Put the pitchforks away ya angry mob.....that's called a "cheese steak hoagie" or a "weber":fro:

Subs? *spits on ground* Hoagie spoken around here!

homebrewer_99 said:
Hey, I'm from across the river in Camden, watcha'spect? :D

Of course, both my folks were born in Philly. ;)

Submarines, hoagies, zepoli, zeps all equal good eating sandwich....:D

Uh, is that a "new" rope?

I'm still trying to place that quote...:D

Was going through old topics looking for recipes and saw this and had to weigh in.

First off, nice recipe Yuri, pretty much the same thing I do when I make one at home.

Geno's over Pat's, although both skate by on reputation now. Last time I was at Rick's in the Reading Terminal that was very good, got one in case they ended up closing and I wouldn't have had another chance.

And as a fantastic alternative, get a chix cheesesteak from Iscrabibble's on South St. nice juicy chunks of chicken, and probably the best fries of any of the famous cheesesteak places.

Cheese (choose one):
Cheese Whiz (yes, the Whiz!)
Provolone
White American
Mozzarella
NOT Swiss or Cheddar!
Wow! Only the Whiz is an acceptable answer when it comes to an authentic Philly.

However, I prefer white American ;)

My wife is from Jersey and man Cheese steaks are serious buisiness with her. I do have to say she has spoiled me and unless we are in jersey I wont order them any where.

I was reading the latest issue of GUY MAGAZINE SUPREMO ULTIMATE (Maxim or FHM or something else that is totally worthless...it was at my friend's place, honest) a guy did a tour of Philly Cheesesteaks. Out of 5 I think...Pat's and Geno's were dead tied for worst.

jim's on south street is class. for the jersey side of the river, italia pizzeria in bellmawr, NJ was the best all round in my view, but i'm not native so what do i know! the place burned down but apparently the family have another place in audubon or mt ephraim.

there's supposed to be a great place in camden, can't recall the name, that does cheesesteaks on round rolls - heresy for the purist but supposed to be very good

A quick tour of Philly's cheesesteak joints:
Pat's & Geno's are both at the low end of the spectrum, but if you're a tourist and/or you're piss drunk, go for it. It's still 10x better than any cheesesteak you've had before if you've never been to this area.
Jim's is pretty good.
Tony Luke's is good.
Steve's Prince Of Steaks is good.
Don't be afraid to take a chance on a diner, bar, or "lunch truck"... many of them will surprise you. If you see the word "Amoroso's" anywhere, that's a good sign. (They make the rolls most of the good steak joints use. Sarcone's rolls are even better, but not nearly as common.)

Other notes:
The atmosphere pretty much blows at all the cheesesteak joints. That's part of the charm. :cross:
I hate Cheez Whiz, and so do most other Philadelphians, contrary to the rumors. Some vendors try to propagate the rumors that "wiz" is the preferred "cheese" because it helps their bottom line to use some nasty food-like substance with infinite shelf life, rather than real cheese.
Provolone or American are the way to go on a plain cheesesteak.
Mozzarella is allowed on pizza cheese steaks.
Fried onions, peppers, "sauce" (pizza sauce, basically), and DIY ketchup are all acceptable toppings.
I can't really think of anything else other than salt & pepper that you should be putting on a cheesesteak if you want to avoid ridicule and possible bodily harm.
When it comes to ordering, if there's a long line behind you, just be quick about it. The simpler your order is, the better your steak is going to taste, anyway.

Despite the large portions and excessive greasiness, you will be amazed at how you don't immediately **** yourself, and you can still pound beer after beer right after stuffing your gullet with a big cheesesteak and fries. It's an exceptional "base" meal.

Lager is a good drink with your cheesesteak, as it's usually about the best beer you'll find at these dumps. Better to save your money and go to one of our fine pubs or gastropubs. Just shove the hipsters out of your way or you'll never get service.

If you have a hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you can get the Kobe cheese steak at Barclay Prime--but there are much better things on the menu there (just be prepared to spend a lot.)

For a truly great steak, I recommend D'allessandro's, but it's a bit out of the way for most people.

ahh cheesesteaks!

when in delco, i go to Walts Steaks in Clifton Heights. Family run joint. Cheap prices, and the only place i will order a "Pizza Steak" because, unlike other steak shops, it aint sloppy. just the right amount of sauce and cheese. a true delight.

when in south philly....i would choose Tony Luc's, then Jim's for tase, but for gimmick effect there is no disputing Pat's. While attending college (Temple U) i lived 1block from Pats/Geno's on the 800 block of Wharton. Man what a clinic in wierd. I would have early 8am classes and would have to walk right past both to get the broad street subway to school. without fail, every morning at 7:30 am you would see people there drinking coffee and eating a cheeze with, or wizz with...depending which way i would walk to school. every hour of the day, both geno's and pats had clientelle. strange days. it was during this time that i ate the most cheasesteaks in the 2yrs that i lived there, than i probably have before and since.

back on topic...i was working in marlton nj, and although gaetano's steaks as someone posted above were very good, my vote would have to go to pizza fresca and thier cheese steak special...great roll with steak, cheese, roasted tri-coloerd peppers, mushrooms, onions and pepperoni....absolutely heaven...and a cardiologists nightmare i am sure!

dang...i'm hungry!

PseudoChef said:
I was reading the latest issue of GUY MAGAZINE SUPREMO ULTIMATE (Maxim or FHM or something else that is totally worthless...it was at my friend's place, honest) a guy did a tour of Philly Cheesesteaks. Out of 5 I think...Pat's and Geno's were dead tied for worst.

Yeah we went there late one night a few years ago. We went on because all of the hype we'd heard. Meh. Steak and bread with hardly any flavor imho. SWMBO was really underwhelmed and was like "Uh I don't get it". My sentiments exactly.

brewt00l said:
I don't know a single person that actually likes the wiz on their steak that lives around here....yet when folks come to town for a cheese steak, they gotta have the wiz from Pat's or Geno's. Between the two, I have pref'd Geno's.

Jim's is pretty good. I think Pat's and Geno's are for tourists. The best I've found is D'Alessandro's on Henry Ave.

Moonshae said:
Jim's is pretty good. I think Pat's and Geno's are for tourists. The best I've found is D'Alessandro's on Henry Ave.
We had a scare here a couple weeks ago. Someone saw D'allessandro's closed with a sign in the window, and then a rumor started on PhillyBlog that they were out of business forever. :eek: But then they re-opened a few days later, so all is well again. :D Best cheesesteaks in the city--and I'm not just saying that because I live right up the street. Even my buddies down in South Philly (cheesesteak Mecca) agree with me!

Geno's and Pat's are for tourists but they're not bad. I prefer Geno's because I think their cheese is better plus they still use Amoroso's. I wished they'd chop the steak finer and actually cook the onions with the steak, but, you know...

Incidentally, I am: Provalone wit, shrooms

I know, I know, shrooms aren't 'authentic' but they're still a solid topping. At least I don't desecrate the thing by dumping ketchup all over it.

The best cheesesteak is the one out of the local neighborhood shop that you have the best memories from. Oh sure, it's always arguable that there are better quality steaks out there but that's not why you eat cheesesteaks.

Yuengling lager and some UTZ chips are the only possible companions.

Whatever you do, do not order a steak sandwich in the greater DC area - they put lettuce, tomato, and mayo on them!!!!

And I hate to quibble on the cheese (I too am from Philly) but it's gotta be either the whiz, or something else in liquidish form, not just melted on the bun.

Trap or not, I love Pat's steaks. I've had Geno's, and they just don't taste the same. I left Geno's hungry. I leave Pat's hungry for more steak, but not right that moment.

TheJadedDog said:
Whatever you do, do not order a steak sandwich in the greater DC area - they put lettuce, tomato, and mayo on them!!!!

And I hate to quibble on the cheese (I too am from Philly) but it's gotta be either the whiz, or something else in liquidish form, not just melted on the bun.

1) that's a webber or cheesesteak hoagie

2) whiz belongs in the toilet

;)

I was terribly disappointed when SWMBO didn't bring me home a sandwich from both Pat's and Gino's when she went to Philly last weekend.

"I was in south Philly on Saturday, I came home Monday night. You wanted me to keep two sloppy, soggy steak and cheese subs in my car for 3 days?"

"Uh, ya! With half a dozen of those hot peppers piled on top."

Being in a different part of the world i dont know what the real philly steak is. however I do have an idea on what they are. I do llike the cheese steak.

Anyway onto my post. I did watch bobby flay on the food network, and he did a show on Philly Cheesesteak. and the recipe on the link would be how he would make it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34936,00.html

Back