XXXXX's Whirlpool WAR349BSL Kegerator Conversion (37 picture step-by-step slideshow)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXXX

Reaction score
I am Canadian.

As such, specific equipment is often much more difficult to come by. We generally have access to the same things, but often in slightly different variations, models, etc.

I wanted to make a kegerator, and I was set on the Sanyo 4912 because it is tried, tested, and true. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one, so I set out to find an appropriate mini fridge for an entry-level single-keg kegerator. I only own one keg at the time of this writing.

I found the Whirlpool WAR349BSL Refrigerator at FutureShop (sister company of Best Buy Canada) on sale for $169.99 (regular $199.99) plus 13% sales tax (Ontario).

proMed-war349bsl.jpg

The Whirlpool WAR349BSL:
  1. 3.3 Cubic Feet (fits a corny keg and CO2 Cylinder with Regulator)
  2. No freezer compartment (chill plate is along the back wall)
  3. Is aesthetically pleasing (faux-stainless door, black trim, sleek lines)
  4. Is a reputable brand (is manufactured by Danby, incidentally--licensed by Whirlpool)

There was also the larger 4.4 Cubic Foot Whirlpool WAR488BSL--the big brother in this line, which is basically a nicer-looking clone of the Danby fridge that people have been converting for some time now. I thought about opting for the larger unit, but at $249.99, the extra $90 (with tax) just didn't seem worth it.

My Whirlpool WAR349BSL:

kegerator002_800x600.jpg

It is now a working kegerator (that's me on the right hand side, and my brew partner on the left):

kegerator037_450x600.jpg

kegerator036_800x600.jpg

kegerator035_800x600.jpg

Kegerator cost: $345.43 tax included (fridge and tower)

Breakdown of Costs:
  • Whirlpool WAR349BSL Fridge ($169.99+tx or $192.88)
  • Micromatic Polished SS Tower w/ Faucet ($135+tx or $152.55)
  • Corny Keg (already had it, but about $50 value)
  • CO2 Tank + 2-gauge regulator (already had it, but about $150 value)
  • Hole Saw (Already had it, but around $15 value)
  • Misc tubing (Already had it, but approx $20 value)
  • Quick Connects / ball lock (Already had, but approx $20 value)

If you are american, all of these things will cost you much less.

To see the 37 picture album, with captions explaining each step, see the Whirlpool WAR349BSL Kegerator Conversion Album page.

To see the step-by-step slideshow complete with explanations, rationales, and instructions, visit my Whirlpool WAR349BSL Kegerator Conversion Slideshow page.

The kegerator looks good! ...but I'm a little worried about your beer. It looks a bit clear to me... Is that a Bud 55 clone? :cross:

Nice build and nice way to document it for everyone! Will that model hold more than one corny? Maybe 2 with the Co2 in the back behind the corny's?

The kegerator looks good! ...but I'm a little worried about your beer. It looks a bit clear to me... Is that a Bud 55 clone? :cross:

It's straight vodka ;)

No, but my beer isn't ready yet... I'm just getting back into it :)

Nice build and nice way to document it for everyone! Will that model hold more than one corny? Maybe 2 with the Co2 in the back behind the corny's?

The Whirlpool WAR488BSL is the bigger version (4.4 CF) of my fridge (3.3CF) and will hold 2 kegs with the CO2 and regulator behind them over the compressor.

Nice build! I was looking at the 4.4 CF model to build one of my own but eventually decided to save the money and convert a small 5.0 CF freezer I had in my basement not being used. Collar is on and just waiting for my beer to be ready.
Congrats!

The 4.4 model works great for 2 corny's & co2 tank on the compressor hump. You have to modify the door panel as well but that is very easy to do. Nice conversion doesn't take up much space & looks great. Step by step very helpful.... can't wait to get my tower :mug:

Nice build! I was looking at the 4.4 CF model to build one of my own but eventually decided to save the money and convert a small 5.0 CF freezer I had in my basement not being used. Collar is on and just waiting for my beer to be ready.
Congrats!

Cool man I'm thinking of making a keg freezer just to keep them cold and to carbonate them. Be sure to post your pics! :)

The 4.4 model works great for 2 corny's & co2 tank on the compressor hump. You have to modify the door panel as well but that is very easy to do. Nice conversion doesn't take up much space & looks great. Step by step very helpful.... can't wait to get my tower :mug:

I can't wait for my beer to be ready lol! :mug:

Is that a 10lb tank on the hump in the back? I have everything but the fridge but I'm pretty much sold on the war488bsl if it will hold the 2 cornys and the 10lb tank inside.

Not to thread jack but just as an update to what I posted above. I used the 4.4ft^3 version and it fit 2 kegs no problem. I also used the 5.5" recommendation from this thread to space the hole from the back. It tucks neatly behind the light and controls and doesn't interfere with anything. I used a 2-1/8" hole saw.

keg2.jpg

Cheers and thanks to OP for this thread.

Not to thread jack but just as an update to what I posted above. I used the 4.4ft^3 version and it fit 2 kegs no problem. I also used the 5.5" recommendation from this thread to space the hole from the back. It tucks neatly behind the light and controls and doesn't interfere with anything. I used a 2-1/8" hole saw.

keg2.jpg

Cheers and thanks to OP for this thread.

Right on brother! Enjoy! I'm glad it helped :)

Can you post pics of the inside also?

Yes Sir.

keg4.jpg

Need to pick up my CO2 tank this week. It might be tight with a 10lb but i *think* it will fit, a 5lb tank will fit easily.

BTW any Canadians interested, the 4.4 CF fridge shown above is on sale $50 off this week, $199.99

Yes Sir.

keg4.jpg

Need to pick up my CO2 tank this week. It might be tight with a 10lb but i *think* it will fit, a 5lb tank will fit easily.

Primo man! I might have to make another one just for carbonating/chilling kegs before moving them to the kegerator!

a 5 lb tank fits on the hump, not shure about a 10lb. I'm guessing probably not there is plenty of room for the 5lb but not alot of room to spare diamater wise.
-Collin

I just bought the 4.4ft version and already cut the door panel off. Fits 2 corneys and a 5lb CO2 tank perfectly.

Thanks for posting such detailed pics and instructions. Very helpful. I am ready to cut the hole in the top now. Point of no return. Debating the vinegar and baking soda test to be sure, lol.

have not got my tower yet, but It sits next to my bed with 2 full corny's at all times
-collin

Not as hard as I thought, and only one cut...because I am an idiot! Cut metal edges are SHARP kids, be careful.

IMG_1000000093.jpg

IMG_1000000094.jpg

IMG_1000000095.jpg

And BTW, I also used the recommended 5.5 inches from back as noted in the earlier posts. The holes aligned perfectly between the rear coils and the light/temperature control housing.

My fridge also came with a small Styrofoam piece between the plastic top and metal base.It's almost like they WANT you to build a kegerator with this model!

I was wondering if any plastic had to be removed from the inside of the fridge near the crisper. Also were coke kegs used or pepsi? I have one coke keg and would like to use if will fit with another. Thanks..

I did not need to cut any plastic from inside of the fridge. The crisper drawer and glass shelf above the crisper just slid right out. The only plastic that needed to be cut was on the door panel, as noted in the instructions.

I am not sure if I have Pepsi or Coke kegs. They are standard Ball Lock kegs with in and out posts. How do I tell whether it is Coke or Pepsi? Happy to check if you can tell me.

I did not need to cut any plastic from inside of the fridge. The crisper drawer and glass shelf above the crisper just slid right out. The only plastic that needed to be cut was on the door panel, as noted in the instructions.

I am not sure if I have Pepsi or Coke kegs. They are standard pin lock kegs with in and out posts. How do I tell whether it is Coke or Pepsi? Happy to check if you can tell me.

Well if you have pin lock kegs you have got coke kegs.

Well, it looks like I keep learning new stuff about Homebrewing every day.

Turns out with a little research that I have ball lock kegs. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that. Sorry if it caused any confusion!

golphur said:
Well, it looks like I keep learning new stuff about Homebrewing every day.

Turns out with a little research that I have ball lock kegs. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that. Sorry if it caused any confusion!

That's cool, I appreciate your time. Also, it is possible to have a coke keg with ball locks. They sell conversion kits/ kegs at cornykeg.com.

This is exactly what I want! I don't have room for a keezer but this would be perfect! Thanks for the info. I will be going for the 4.4 to fit two cornies, so sick of bottling!!!

Bump...got my hands on a lightly used WAR488 (4.4 cuft model, almost new) for 100$ CDN. I followed the 5.5" spacing from the rear of the fridge (measured with the plastic top piece off) and it turned out great. Just be careful when playing inside the fridge, i nicked on of the freon lines on the back panel with my drill but thankfully it didn't puncture.

Fits perfectly 2 corny's and a 5# tank on the compressor hump

Pic below as reference (gasket doesn't go there), shows the screw holes for tower between controller and coils
photo_2_2.jpg

photo_1_3.jpg

*subscribed*

One thing I notice here in the states is that you can get these small fridges for not to many $$ !

Sorry to revive this old thread, I just picked up a whirlpool WAR488 (4.4). Did my measurements and can fit my 5# tank, dual product regulator, my 5gal ball lock and a 3 gal ball lock. I'm not using a tower.. Using 2 pass through perlick taps on the side. They will be close to the top of the side panel, and as close to the front door as possible.
Do you think I will have any coolant lines there? I didn't think so as the element is on the back wall. But don't know.
Also, the first tap will drill in where the wall is still thin. However it flares out a little afterwards where the 2nd tap will drill through. Is a thicker section of side wall indicative of lines?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back