Amylase enzyme and unmalted buckwheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogfree

Reaction score
I'm looking into gluten free ingredients and got this crazy idea to skip the buckwheat malting process and instead use amylase enzyme to convert the starch. Does anyone know if the amylase enzyme sold in HB stores are gluten-free?

Thanks
FF

You would have to track down the specific manufacturer, but amylase enzyme in general is manufactured using bacteria and it's unlikely they use gluten in the process.

I'm looking into gluten free ingredients and got this crazy idea to skip the buckwheat malting process and instead use amylase enzyme to convert the starch. Does anyone know if the amylase enzyme sold in HB stores are gluten-free?

Thanks
FF

Did you try this and did it work? I tried to convert some corn with amylase and it did not work. Don't know if the amylase was old (does it get old) or if I didn't add enough (if you add too much is this bad for you) or what but I had no success with that.

Call me a prude but I have a problem with consuming the bodily secretions of a another dude regardless of their source.

No chicha for me thank you.

But I assume you'll drink milk from a cows utter, or perhaps rotted milk made into fungus infested blue cheese? And milk isn't even brought up to a boil like wort is, and some blues are made from milk that isnt even pasteurized, just straight from that hairy teet.

Thanks
FF

Have you found any info on how much of the enzyme to use? I've been looking and had no luck.

I did, however, learn that bananas and mangos both have the enzyme in them though. Might make for an interesting brew if you can get enough enzyme out of them in a mash or something. There were some people talking about it over on aussiehomebrew in some 'grocery store challenge' or something like that. There's a lot of people on there that brew gluten-free, too. Tons of info sitting there waiting to be learned...

So now you've got me curious about this too. I've seen this enzyme available at the brew shops, and now I'm thinking of picking up some for a batch I want to do in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the grains I was initially going to steep may benefit from adding amlase in.

Since the enzyme will be broken down by the boil, after which point I will add the sorghum extract, I'm not too worried about it going too dry. I'm hoping that I'll just be able to get more out of the millet, amaranth, and quinoa that I was going to use.

The enzyme will not hurt you and at a point you are just wasteing it it can only convert so far and after that point is just wasted.

We use it were I work to convert starch into dextrose and put in like 260ml per min to 550gal starch per min.

Im thinking a tablespoon in a 5gal batch should do ya.

So now you've got me curious about this too. I've seen this enzyme available at the brew shops, and now I'm thinking of picking up some for a batch I want to do in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the grains I was initially going to steep may benefit from adding amlase in.

Since the enzyme will be broken down by the boil, after which point I will add the sorghum extract, I'm not too worried about it going too dry. I'm hoping that I'll just be able to get more out of the millet, amaranth, and quinoa that I was going to use.

I'm interested to see if your alternative grains will work. Since Amaranth and Quinoa are both seeds and not cereal grains and all.

The enzyme will not hurt you and at a point you are just wasteing it it can only convert so far and after that point is just wasted.

We use it were I work to convert starch into dextrose and put in like 260ml per min to 550gal starch per min.

Im thinking a tablespoon in a 5gal batch should do ya.
Can you elaborate on the use of amylase and temperatures? I mean does it work putting it in at mash temperatures? Are certain temps better than others? Are there general guidelines for using amylase? Cold? Hot? Does it break down or not work at specific temperatures? etc. etc. etc.

Sorry about not replying to this thread earlier. I kinda lost track of it since I was able to entice my friend into drinking cider instead of GF beer. I haven't done any experiments with regard to this.

Back