What type of labels do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudder

Reaction score
Still a newbie and have some free time while i wait for the first two batches. I was just wondering what type of labels most of you use for your wine/beer? Do you buy the labels specifically made for this purpose? Or, do you just buy some Avery or Brand X labels at WMT or the office supply store?

I used to use labels from OnlineLabels.com. They sell removable labels that are great for bottles. I use Avery Design Pro and Gimp to design the labels.

The labels are easily removable as long as you do it while they're dry. If you try while they're wet, you're in for a treat.

Also, I'll tell you the same thing I was told when I first started brewing. Don't waste your time. Some people love doing it, as I did. But after awhile, it gets really boring always having to label 50+ bottles. I just use little sticker dots on my caps. I mark IBU's, ABV, and what kind of beer it is.

I print out labels on a color laser printer and attach them with a glue stick. Just use regular printer paper.

as others have said, i used to print more labels, now i just mark the caps and use a laser printer with regular paper and scotch tape when i want to add labels when i give them as gifts.

I've done a bunch of ways. Best so far was an inkjet on Avery labels, but still had something to do desired. I haven't really bottled in a while, due to have a kegerator, but will have to soon again. (Making too much beer!)

I'll be trying Revvy's hanging tags, and also maybe using the color laser and adhering with milk method. Just print out and use paper cutter to get a squarish label.

My plan is to just write the batch number on top. Although, I don't plan on having tons of different batches sitting around anyways because I lack the space.

Actually, one idea I had (job hunting, so a lot of free time, but no money to carry out the ideas) is to brand the glasses with your brewery name and then hang tags (http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...-Tags-7_208514_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH) around the neck. That way you don't have to relabel each time you put a new brew in the bottle.

And idea for labeling the bottles was to use the glass etching stuff: http://www.instructables.com/id/Glass_Etched_Glasses/

I think it'd look cool and different, although may not show up as well on brown bottles.

I'm too lazy to look for it, but I think it was Revvy that was using hang tags; tags that you put two cuts into and hang around the necks of the bottles. Easy to put on and remove.

I use large two-sided labels that I hang on bottles. I use cardstock, punch a hole in the corner, and a piece of twine. On one side, there is a design, on the other is info about the beer. You can see examples in my gallery. I mark the batch on the cap and hang labels for those I give away. Cheers!!

I'm too lazy to look for it, but I think it was Revvy that was using hang tags; tags that you put two cuts into and hang around the necks of the bottles. Easy to put on and remove.

Back