first taste, again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I tasted my first beer again. A week later. 3 weeks. It did get better. But, it seems like its missing body.

PM or even steeping grains can help fill in some flavor profile.

As soon as I get a keg I am going to all grain. I already have the MLT ready. I will use my current 6 gallon kettle for a HLT. Would my current pot be big enough to do a 10 gallon batch? Using just as a HLT. The kettle would be a keg.

My Irish red ale ended up tasting really good. My other three not so much. I have a IPA that has been sitting for over a 6 weeks. A strawberry blueberry cream ale for 4 weeks, and a strong ale I forced carbed today and tried it. They all taste about the same, and not very good. All are extract.

My Irish red ale ended up tasting really good. My other three not so much. I have a IPA that has been sitting for over a 6 weeks. A strawberry blueberry cream ale for 4 weeks, and a strong ale I forced carbed today and tried it. They all taste about the same, and not very good. All are extract.

I'm wondering about a couple of things that these brews have in common. I assume yeast strain, fermentation temperatures, and the process were the same, even though the recipes were different? Was the extract liquid or dry, and was it fresh?

What kind of taste are you getting that isn't good? Is it plastic-y, fruity, "hot", ashy, astringent, etc? That can help us find out what's going on.

They all were LME. With some specialty grains. I got them all from Midwest Supplies. I had dry yeast packets for all of them. I assume that it is the same yeast for all of them. They just taste really bland. The IPA, has somewhat of a Moslons Canadian taste. Doesn't taste like an IPA. Sorry, I am just bad as describing tastes, and smells.

Back