maple syrup mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbox12

Reaction score
Looking for a simple, small batch recipe, that I can use some of my maple syrup in.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Been there, done that.
3 lbs honey, 16 oz maple syrup, one gallon water, RC-212 yeast.
Almost one year later, very sweet, almost cloying. I'd cut back a bit on the honey and maple syrup, or use a dry champagne yeast.

How much maple syrup do you have, and how much do you like maple syrup? You might consider making an apple cider, sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar, too.

I probably have 9 gallons of pure maple syrup in the basement. We cook a little in the spring. Not commercially just as a hobby.

9 gallons in the basement! Congratulations. My family used to do a little syrup, but we had access to trees that we didn't own. When the property changed hands, we lost access. Around here that 9 gallons would go for nearly $550. I've never done it but I'd probably also lean towards a cider with maple flavors. I'm currently doing 3 gallons of apple juice with 2 lbs of honey, and Montrachet yeast. Sampling after primary tasted excellent. I'd bet that a similar ratio of juice to syrup would work out well, maybe with a little more syrup added to the secondary to up the maple flavor if you prefer.

Hmm. Didn't say you made it yourself.
In that case, I'd boil down until you have something sweet, but not yet syrup, add honey, and ferment that. No extra water added. I can't give you much better than that, I don't usually work with gravity readings, and I don't know the gravity of maple sap anyway.

Back