Project Monsterator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
Well, I decided it was time to man up and build a kegerator. It's pointless to keg and not have anywhere to pour a beautiful pint from.

So I decided to go all out.

A slight preview of what's to come...
Picture001.jpg

Here's 13 kegs and a 20lb tank. It's a 20cf freezer.
Picture002.jpg

Johnson A419, Bottle opener that says "homebrewed" on it, bottlecap catcher, (3) Perlick 425SS taps, and a bunch of o-rings.
Picture009.jpg

My intention is to have 12 taps once it's all completed. Items on the list for purchase include:
(
Here is a rough idea of what I'm looking at creating...While it's not for everyone, it'll definitely make it one of a kind.
plaidfreezer2.jpg

I will be updating this as parts come in, and once I have a complete sketch designed. I'm not 100% if I want to have the tank inside our out yet, but we will see.

Here is an outline for those who want to find specific information:

Overall Parts List
First Equipment Coming In (Shanks, tubing, quick disconnects)
CO2 distribution, first (of a million) home depot runs
Sanding/Prepping/First Staining
Lid Priming and First Mockup of the Collar
Bar Design
Initial Testing for shank hole size
Lid customization, Cutting of the holes for the shanks, Collar assembly
Arrival of the 575SS!!!
Tail piece assembly
Mounting the collar to the lid!!
Weather stripping install to ensure a closed lid
Wiring Up Johnson A419 and setting up temperature specs
How to solve rust problems with an Old Keezer???
Rust begins to disappear
Rust is gone!!
PAINT!!!!!!!
How to run lines (and make them look GOOD!)

I didn't take any pictures before I took the top off or clean it, but it was a MESS when i got it!

Here is a parts list:
20cf Freezer
(12)Perlick 575SS Creamer Faucets
(12) 4" SS Shanks
(12) Tailpieces for the shanks
(1) Homebrewed bottle opener
-Several 2x4's stained for the collar (Extra for test fitment)
-Johnson A419 Temperature Controller
-60' CO2 Line
-60' Beverage Line
-20lb CO2 tank
-(2) 6-way co2 distributors
-(12) "IN" quick disconnects
-(12) "OUT" quick disconnects
-(2) packages of weather striping of your choice.
-2-way regulator
-Hose clamps... lots of them
-Tie downs for beer/co2 line
-Tap handles (various, it's up to you!)
-Casters (It's up to you if you want these!)

-KEGS!! Tons of them!!!

That is going to be one bad-ass keezer! I'd ask if I could come test it out when it's finished, but your basement looks like something out of a horror movie. :eek:

plaid is in! have you thought about doing a big cabinet tower? i mean if you're gonna go all out you might as well go all out right?

I prefer to have the unit set up this way. I forgot to mention that the top will have a stripe of chaulkboard paint in it so that we will be able to write exactly what is inside of it.

I will also be purchasing 1 sankey tap so that in case there's a party I can switch to a non-corny keg.

That is going to be one bad-ass keezer! I'd ask if I could come test it out when it's finished, but your basement looks like something out of a horror movie. :eek:

I rent a house that is roughly 100 years old and the owner hasn't taken care of it.

This is how we ferment. It's a heated blanket.
IMG_1316.jpg

Well, I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm pretty jealous of the size of that keezer, but when I finally get around to building one, it'll be modeled after that one.

Subscribed. :mug:

So here are a couple more pictures for reference.

I'm lucky enough that the top completely separates (with the seal) so I won't have to worry about removal of stripping or the top.
Picture012.jpg

My intention is to buy a thin piece of wood to cover the entire lid, so when it opens it will be wood rather than insulation.
Picture012copy.jpg

I will be putting the collar on the top, but this is just an idea of what I'd like to do.

Here's some of the problem that I'm dealing with with the freezer though....
Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Ouch! It will need to be sanded down pretty well.

I also contacted someone on ebay about picking up 9 more perlicks... I'm curious to see what price he comes back at me.

May want to think about having it bead/sand blasted. Usually pretty cheap and will get all of the rust out. Then hit it with some picklex or something, just to neutralize anything that might be left.

excited to see the monster. i'd love to someday have that much beer on hand! I'm having trouble keeping my 2 taps supplied!
But one question to the OP,
"What the heck you gonna do when the ghosts in your basement start drinking all your homebrew? You're gonna tell them,"Hey don't drink that, it's not yours and that's called stealing!, For your Health."

Sorry I can't read any of your posts without at least quoting in my head.

excited to see the monster. i'd love to someday have that much beer on hand! I'm having trouble keeping my 2 taps supplied!
But one question to the OP,
"What the heck you gonna do when the ghosts in your basement start drinking all your homebrew? You're gonna tell them,"Hey don't drink that, it's not yours and that's called stealing!, For your Health."

Sorry I can't read any of your posts without at least quoting in my head.

It's terribly ugly down there! When I moved it there was cobwebs and no paint on the floor, only about 2" of dirt. I cleaned the floors as best as possible and put down the paint.

I really don't drink a TON of beer, so having this much beer is going to be feasible only for the simple fact that I don't kick kegs fast enough. I may also have a new roomate who is getting into brewing. If he moves in, then he will be able to put his items on tap as well.

Hey, what have you done to my kegerator?
LOL:ban::ban::ban::ban:

It was the best angle and look that I was going for. Sorry to bastardize it, but its nearly exactly what I'm going for with the end product.

It's terribly ugly down there! When I moved it there was cobwebs and no paint on the floor, only about 2" of dirt. I cleaned the floors as best as possible and put down the paint.

I really don't drink a TON of beer, so having this much beer is going to be feasible only for the simple fact that I don't kick kegs fast enough. I may also have a new roomate who is getting into brewing. If he moves in, then he will be able to put his items on tap as well.

LOL:ban::ban::ban::ban:

It was the best angle and look that I was going for. Sorry to bastardize it, but its nearly exactly what I'm going for with the end product.
Right on. I actually really like the plaid look and wish I had thought of it first! I don't drink much beer either and my kegs tend to last for months having 8 at a time on. But since I don't drink much I like to have a good variety to choose from.

Not sure where you are getting your faucets but Williams has good prices on the whole assembly that comes with everything from tailpiece to tap handle. I think it was about $45 per assembly.

Not sure where you are getting your faucets but Williams has good prices on the whole assembly that comes with everything from tailpiece to tap handle. I think it was about $45 per assembly.

Surely these aren't Perlicks! Those are 45 by themselves. If so WOW! Nice find.

Yeah, I'm going to be purchasing more of the perlicks as $ permits. I don't think I'll be putting every faucet on immediately, however I will be doing 3 immediately.

Home Depot this weekend to pick up some wood, primer, and paint!

Here is a rough idea of what I'm looking at creating...While it's not for everyone, it'll definitely make it one of a kind.
plaidfreezer2.jpg

Same plaid as my daughters school uniform skirt. Make the top yellow any you could call it "Catholic School Girl" :p

Maybe look for a DIY sandblast shop. I have one near my mustang project and they are very cheap and you can do it yourself. I did the whole side of the engine compartment (front and rear aprons and shock tower) plus a manifold for my father-in-law's Cougar for under $20.

They say 2 guys can blast a whole mustang for less than $400.

It will get deep into the pits and then treat with protective chemical and maybe fill the pits with a bit of lightweight fill just to make it perfect...

If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Crap, I have enough trouble keeping four taps live.

:rockin:

I'm probably going to just sand it down and get some sealer - I'm going to talk with home depot to see what they think.

TOYS TODAY!!!

Stainless Steel Shanks (Thanks Kegworks!)
Picture014.jpg

Mounted Up on the Perlicks
Picture017.jpg

Quick Disconnects (Thanks again Kegworks!)
Picture018.jpg

60' of beer and gas lines: (Thanks BrewMasters Warehouse!)
Picture019.jpg

The (2) 6-way air bars should be here within the next couple of days which I also purchased from BrewMasters Warehouse.

I ordered this stuff on Monday and got it today, can't say enough good things about both companies!

Here's what came on Friday....!
Picture036.jpg

The CO2 distributors
Picture029.jpg

Today we also went to Home Depot to get some supplies.
Picture037.jpg

This will be the paneling that will be on the underside of the lid. I'm going to play around with staining it, but I can't wait to install this! I don't know if anyone has done this before? I'd like to be the first.

Here's another picture with one of the 2x4's. The lid is upside-down.
Picture039.jpg

Tomorrow I will be sanding down the whole unit and priming it. We will also be staining the 2x4's and prepping them for cutting.

Hope everyone enjoys the project so far as much as I have!

I would encase the plywood in clear polyurethane for the purpose of rendering it impermeable by moisture. ;)

I also lined the inner lid with thin wood sheeting. I had to trim my lid foam so i did that to clean it up visually. But then foaming the creases kind of uglied it back up. But it's the inside and the thing wood sheeting at least prevents the foam from flaking and falling into the keezer.

Although nearly impossible to do, try and COMPLETELY finish it before starting use. I got mine to a point of minimal operation and started cycling kegs as I had them out of excitement starting with picnick taps. Now I've got 2/3 faucets on and trying to find time to install my blower fan to cool the tapbox between kegs. I wasted more than i ever want to again by wasting an ounce at the beginning of every session due to warming of lines. I will be letting my newly kegged batch sit on gas, off tap until this is done. it tastes too good to waste even 1 ounce. But once it's dispensing beer, it's hard to get anything done!

There's definitely a bit more that I want to look into, and I am going to be patient finishing this (as patient as possible!)

NEW PICS!

Here I am getting ready to do work
Picture042.jpg

4x24 sander with heavy grit paper
Picture047.jpg

Here you can see the difference between where I was sanding and what was original. I don't have any pictures currently but all of the rust is gone, and it looks awesome!!
Picture049.jpg

A pic of the wood that my girlfriend stained...
Picture051.jpg

We are going to throw a few more coats on it when the sun comes back to play. It's going to be a bit darker than what you see here, but I really like the look of it so far.

Man, you look nothing like you're Avatar! JK!

Looks like a serious project! My hat's off to ya!

BTW I like those spazz glasses or are the Finkelstein glasses?

:) They are actually my Hanson brothers glasses.

45960457a47994be7e_slapshot.jpg

There's actually no glass in them, I was just fooling around

Out of curiosity, why did you get your tubing from brewmaster, rather than keg connection. Keg connection has 3/16 for $.49 per foot, rather than brewmaster at $.65 a foot.

*Components:Hoses, Swivel Nuts, Cross, Tee

Vs.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/kegging/tubing

also,

Air Distributor - an 12 Way, 5/16 Check Valves!

Vs.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/products/CO2-Distributors-14-MFL-6-port-0101772 X2

91.99 * 2 = 183.98

And additional shipping from different places.

I'm really not trying to burst your bubble, im just planning a order with keg connection and have been doing way too much product comparison, and want to know if there are some external variables (like their hose sucks) that i don't know about. I really hope im not sounding like a *******.

I can not speak for Joe C, but the distributors he bought have threaded connections, opposed to the barbed connections on the distributor that kegconnection sells.

Back