What to add to Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I have a Nut Brown Ale fermenting at the moment. I would like to jazz it up a bit. Any suggestions on some tasty additions to secondary and/or bottling bucket?

Thanks.:mug:

Try posting the recipe.
I see the style of Brown Ale as a beer for which balance is key so sticking to the recipe is smart. "Jazz up" the IPAs with some dry hopping but I think you are better off leaving your Brown Ale as is. Brown Ale is like the comfort food of beers. People like it to be plain and balanced. My 2 cents.

I have added honey to a Brown Ale and it's really good. I just mix the honey with a little water and bring it to a slight boil. Just enough to kill any germs or bacteria. But make sure you don't boil for too long, because you will cook off too much of the aroma and flavour of the honey.

When it comes to how much you want to add, it all depends on how much aroma and flavour you want.

Then just cool it to the temp of your fermentation by letting it sit in a sink filled with some cold water and ice. Then just add when you rack over.

I use 500g of local best quality honey I can find and about one cup of water.

Hope that helps. Honey Brown Ale is one of my favourite beers :mug:

You can use honey as a carbonating sugar at bottling time. I think that's what Chynes is suggesting. You would get real honey taste. I think that the hard part would be to get the right amount. I know that when you add DME for example, the amount used changes and I have noticed that carbonation time in the bottles is different.
When you make a honey brown ale the recipe usually includes honey malt (a steeping grain) to help with the honey taste. I like to experiment with adding things to beer but I am learning to appreciate the importance of following a recipe and making subtle adjustments over time. I guess I am being a real wet blanket but I would finish the recipe as is, wait the full two months for it to taste best and then make a change the next time you brew it.

I've read brown sugar is too simple and will dry the beer out while raising the ABV.

I've heard the same. Same with honey. Honey is virtually 100% fermentable, except for the aroma and some very mild flavors.

If you add a pound of honey, expect to age it for a month before the heavy alcohols and odd flavors drop out. Any more than that, and you looking at like 6 months.

That's what my local HBS dealer told me at least, and it made a lot of scientific sense.

>>>>>You could always add a campden tablet, wait 24 hours for the yeast to die, and then you could add some honey, brown sugar, or even molasses!
But you would need a kegging system to carbonate.

I would leave the beer alone, Nut Brown Ales have a flavor profile of their own that should be enjoyed as is.

But if you really must, try vanilla beans.

IMHO coffee is better suited to a stout. You should consider sharing the recipe or kit name that you used. Help me help you.

NB Nut Brown Ale kit

.25 lb English Chocolate Malt
.25 lb Belgian Special B
.25 lb Belgian Biscuit
.25 lb Briess Special Roast

6 lbs Maris Otter Malt

1 oz Fuggle hops

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I added an extra pound of light DME at the beginning of the boil and added the 6 lbs of LME at flame out. I almost did a full boil. Brought 5 gallons of water to a boil to get more hop utilization because of the extra DME I added. Was thinking of adding 4-5 cups of coffee to the bottling bucket, but it sounds like it might not be a good idea.

That looks like a tasty kit. I think the best way to improve on that would be to get some Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast. It will still be awesome with Nottingham.

Have you brewed this beer before? Just curious why you want to add something to it. Did it not turn out as well last time?

Latest posts

Back