Brew Calendar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
I once saw a great calendar of what styles fit in what season and what to brew when (IE Brew Bock in Feb drink in April, etc)

Does anyone have something like this floating around and can you post it? Thanks!

I have one but I'm leaving out the door in 2 seconds - if no one has posted it by the time I get back I'll do it.

Beer - when to make - when to drink - sorry for formenting

Altbier 1st Oct mid Dec
Barley Wine 1st Feb mid Dec
Belgian Strong Aale, Trappist 1st Aug end Jan
Belgian White 1st June end July
Biere de Garde/Saison 1st Feb end May
Bitter 1st Oct mid Nov
Bock 1st Jan end March
Brown Ale US 1st Nov end Dec
Brown Ale UK 1st Sept end Oct
California Common 1st Sept end Oct
Doppelbock 1st Nov end Feb
Dortmunder 1st Nov end Dec
Dunkelweizen 1st April mid May
Extra Special Bitter 1st Oct mid Dec
Eisbock 1st Sept end Feb
Festbier 1st April mid June
Fruit Beer 1st April mid to late June
Imperial Stout 1st Jan mid Dec
India Pale Ale 1st March end June
Kolsch 1st March end March
Lambic 1st March end May 1st June end Feb
Lager US 1st April end June
Maibock 1st Feb end May
Marzen/Oktoberfest 1st Feb late Aug
Mead mid Dec mid Dec
Mild Ale 1st Sept end Sept
Munich Helles/Dunkles 1st Jan end March
Old Ale 1st May end Sept
Pale Ale 1st March end March end April mid June
Pilsener 1st Feb end April
Porter 1st Feb end Feb
Red Ale 1st Feb end Feb
Scotch Ale 1st April end Dec
Scottish Ale 1st Sept mid Oct
Schwarzbier 1st Dec mid Jan
Smoked Beer 1st Sept mid Nov
Spiced Ale mid Oct end Dec
Stout, Dry end Jan end Feb
Stout, Specialty 1st Oct end Nov
Weisse, Berliner 1st June end July
Weizen 1st June mid July
Weizenbock mid July mid Dec

I have been playing with this.. threw it into a spreadsheet.
It seems like it would be interesting to maybe create (if it doesn't exist) an informational spreadsheet with the basic types as listed above, their seasons as listed above... and then maybe adding typical hops, yeast strains, etc. that are found in those sorts of beers. I would find this very handy.
Anyone else interested in a project like this? Shouldnt' be too hard. As a noobish brewer I'd appreciate that on hand.
Unless of course it already exists somewhere.

I can format it with the dates, etc.
Then potentially use Wyeast's booklet or something like that to try and pull in the yeast strains. Would be a cool work in progress I think.
I'll get working on it.
Anyone that has some input let me know.
I don't know much when it comes to yeasts and Hops.

What I envision is columns like this:

Type Description Brew Drink Yeast Strains Typical Grains Typical Hops

That would be really handy to me as a newer brewer that is starting to craft his own recipes.

I'm seeing more of a calendar, incorporating the styles of beer based on the time of year and then listing typical ingredients for that specific style...

Love the idea and I'd be happy to contribute :)

kahunaman; not only pictures of different biers thru the months you must add some more of your train photos. Slightly off topic but thanks for posting them.
Here in California we have a few active steam for the public plus electric.
You must know of the Western Pacific with their Feather River Route thru Feather River Canyon and the Zepher. This route I have run from Oakland to Oregon and east to Chicago a few hundred miles in the cabs, crummies and by rail cars. A lifetime memory i'll never forget from 1970-1974. In the cab of a "Covered Wagon" and "F" units thru the Feather River with all its tunnels plus in the "Vista Dome". Cheers and thanks for posting your other hobbies.

Bier related;
On one photo you posted a temp probe, is that the same one Adam has on his Beta 460 control unit that
he has available with his unit? It looks like the probe cable can be disconnected from the probe to make removing a keggle easy without the cable being a problem. If not it must be a compression fitting nut compressing a soft seal around the cable. Can you correct me on my guesssing how it's connected?
Thanks. Carl.........

I am sorry that this does not relate to anything previously posted questions or recipes here, but has anyone sent beer starter kits to the UAE? Dubai? and if so how was it done? the beer restrictions are crazy here.

Hi - I was looking for a printable/graphic version of this info but couldn't find one, so I did something quick in Excel. When not specified otherwise, I used a 4 week brewing window and 45 day drinking window based on the original data. Everything is data driven by hidden data in the first columns, so very easy to change/expand/re-sort.

Both the Excel file (.zip) and a printable PDF are attached.

Cheers!

View attachment BrewCalendar.pdf

View attachment brewcal.zip

Here are mine that I've been using for some time:

BrewbyWhenToDrink.jpg

WhentoBrew.jpg

I took pdbreen's calendar and transferred that into the beginnings of a PHP api. It basically returns the beers "in season" for brewing and drinking, either based on the current date or on the date you supply.

I have a very simple example site here - http://up.jamesnweber.com/_MyApi/brewcalendar.php.

I also set up a Wordpress widget - let me know if you're interested in it.

I guess I'm wondering- how would people want to use this? I can set up a prettier site that does this. I can make it so you can easily insert this into any website. I can make it so you can access it via curl or the command line. But will/how will it be useful to you?

i made a wall calendar similar to what you guys are talking, with help from some of the guys who have already posted on here. its not very detailed but it does give two styles to brew and two styles to drink every month. i figured it would be okay to tell you guys seeing as how the price is set so that i dont actually make any money off of it. set me a message if any of you are interested or just want to see what it looks like! cheers guys!

I have been working on a calendar for the beers I like. I have been able to create my own calendar by looking at some of the other calendars that I've found. One thing is puzzling me. Porter shows up on these calendars brewed in February and drank in Feb/March.

Yet, in other places I see this: "Cold weather is right around the corner. Time to brew a porter."

I think what is happening here is that brown porters are brewed in Feb. and robust porters are brewed in the fall.

Is that how everyone feels? What do you think is a good brew date for a robust porter?

I think it prob depends where you live too. Some places are warm by March and others are still very cold.

Maibocks should be already going and Marzens are on deck!

So I guess the next one should be a more comprehensive calendar displaying by date and region.

Does anyone have historical seasonal info?

I have a small farm and we grow our own hops. We have 2 beehives & hope to harvest honey this year. We squish apples for cider in the fall, and usually get a ton of grapes in October from a neighbor. Next year we may try growing & malting our own barley.

We used to brew whenever we felt like it, but are trying to learn to brew when our ingredients are ready. Closer to what our ancestors might have done.

Most of our cider is bottled in December, and takes 6-12 months to mature. Grape wine sits in the carboy until I need the space, so last October's wine will be bottled this weekend.

For beer we like west coast pale ales but want to try a lager soon. We dry our hops (Willamette, Cascade, Centennial, Fuggles) in an electric dehydrator then into baggies in the freezer til we're ready to brew.

There is a north-side pantry that stays about 55-60 in winter, and an unheated garage that can get below freezing. My potatoes store well there with a blanket on cold nights. In summer even the coolest areas can get into the 60's.

Any tips for a low tech brewing calendar?

I pulled this off of one of these forms. I'm not sure where or when I got it, and I don't have the source either. Sorry if I take from someone else.

Beer - when to make - when to drink

Altbier 1st Oct mid Dec
Barley Wine 1st Feb mid Dec
Belgian Strong Aale, Trappist 1st Aug end Jan
Belgian White 1st June end July
Biere de Garde/Saison 1st Feb end May
Bitter 1st Oct mid Nov
Bock 1st Jan end March
Brown Ale US 1st Nov end Dec
Brown Ale UK 1st Sept end Oct
California Common 1st Sept end Oct
Doppelbock 1st Nov end Feb
Dortmunder 1st Nov end Dec
Dunkelweizen 1st April mid May
Extra Special Bitter 1st Oct mid Dec
Eisbock 1st Sept end Feb
Festbier 1st April mid June
Fruit Beer 1st April mid to late June
Imperial Stout 1st Jan mid Dec
India Pale Ale 1st March end June
Kolsch 1st March end March
Lambic 1st March end May 1st June end Feb
Lager US 1st April end June
Maibock 1st Feb end May
Marzen/Oktoberfest 1st Feb late Aug
Mead mid Dec mid Dec
Mild Ale 1st Sept end Sept
Munich Helles/Dunkles 1st Jan end March
Old Ale 1st May end Sept
Pale Ale 1st March end March end April mid June
Pilsener 1st Feb end April
Porter 1st Feb end Feb
Red Ale 1st Feb end Feb
Scotch Ale 1st April end Dec
Scottish Ale 1st Sept mid Oct
Schwarzbier 1st Dec mid Jan
Smoked Beer 1st Sept mid Nov
Spiced Ale mid Oct end Dec
Stout, Dry end Jan end Feb
Stout, Specialty 1st Oct end Nov
Weisse, Berliner 1st June end July
Weizen 1st June mid July
Weizenbock mid July mid Dec

Hmmm, Here I am again. I was looking information on when to brew/drink a dubbel. I searched for the brewing calendar and came up with this one. And I guess I have posted on this one before.
Well, in that last post I said I didn't know where I got that list. It turns out that I got it from Grinder 12000 on the previous page, DUH! Thanks Grinder!
Anyway, according to the calendars I've found, it looks like a dubbel should be brewed around August and ready to drink in January/February. Anyone have different info?

Downloadable poster that shows what you should be brewing each month in order to drink it in right season.

http://www.homebrewing.com/articles/home-brewing-calendar.php

Could be useful showing the opposite data too. Maybe organize the beer styles by drink month.

Also could have a calendar that shows brew date, primary, secondary, age and drink times for those styles.

i went searching the interwebs, and came right back home to the hbt forums. you folks are a wealth of knowledge.
thank you!

Back