American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
enohcs .. I am going to start brewing after man years off you list your hops/times as:

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Is this the minutes in to the boil that they are added or the minutes remaining? Thanks Dan

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

I am going to brew this tomorrow, but on slightly smaller scale (I do 3.25 gallon batches). Whenever I entered the info into beersmith, it is calculating 76.5 IBU rather than the 62 that the OP indicates. Should I lower the bittering hops to compensate?
In fact, the estimated O.G. is coming out too high too. I have proportionally scaled down the amount of grain and hops to match my target volume. Why is it coming out too concentrated?
I am really striving for an IPA that is not toooo bitter, as I am not as much of a hop head as most.

don't change anything. like he said in his recipe, this is not a hop bomb, and it is nowhere near bitter

The problem is that I can't do the recipe as written; I don't hve 5 gallon equipment. Only 3 gallon, which i can get to 3.5 if I push it, but i do 3.25 to be safe.

As I messed with the BeerSmith vs my own calculations last night, I possibly realized that the scaling of recipes via BeerSmith may be non-linear; thus, when I applied the 3.25/5 ratio to all of the ingredient, I found that it did not match what beersmith predicted when I used it's scaling function.

Has anyone experienced this?

The recipe I plan to go with is to enter the recipe verbatim into BeerSmith and than scale it to match my equipment.

I am going to brew this tomorrow, but on slightly smaller scale (I do 3.25 gallon batches). Whenever I entered the info into beersmith, it is calculating 76.5 IBU rather than the 62 that the OP indicates. Should I lower the bittering hops to compensate?
In fact, the estimated O.G. is coming out too high too. I have proportionally scaled down the amount of grain and hops to match my target volume. Why is it coming out too concentrated?
I am really striving for an IPA that is not toooo bitter, as I am not as much of a hop head as most.

The OP says his efficiency is 70% maybe you have yours set higher?

:off: I'm going off topic, but as OP of this recipe, I'll allow it :rockin:

Check out my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheBeerTalk and please nominate your favorite craft brewery for inclusion in our Bracket Challenge. Hundreds of breweries have been nominated, and the 16 per region whose nominations receive the most 'likes' will make it onto the bracket. Once the bracket is made, advancement is via fan support.

This post specifically will guide you to where it's all going down: https://www.facebook.com/TheBeerTalk/posts/1565997303682949

Thanks, and now back to your regularly scheduled bad ass, exclusively late hopped IPA discussion.

I brewed this yesterday, but have done questions. As a new homebrewer, I converted the 2 row to 8.5 lbs of extract. Some online conversions seemed to think that was the right amount. During the last 5 min hop addition, I accidentally added 1.5 oz of Willamette hops. I assume that it isn't a huge deal, but wanted to get your opinion.

Edit: I also measured 1.082 OG. Does that sound like something to be concerned about?

Sorry im still somehwat of a noob, but on the iriginal post, i see no info regarding yeast strain or batch volume and boil time.

From what i gathered, the original recipe calls for:
- 5gal
- 90min boil

But what yeast? Would safale s 05 or 04 do fine? Or am i really missing out if i dont use another one?

Sorry im still somehwat of a noob, but on the iriginal post, i see no info regarding yeast strain or batch volume and boil time.

From what i gathered, the original recipe calls for:
- 5gal
- 90min boil

But what yeast? Would safale s 05 or 04 do fine? Or am i really missing out if i dont use another one?

Per the recipe posted it says batch size is 5 gal and boil time is 90 min. The yeast is wlp001 California ale yeast 2 vials so I'm guessing no starter but u could just use 1 vial and make a starter. Use the and I like Brewers friend yeast calculator to get your pitching rate.

I was on my HBT mobile app yesterday and couldn't see the first part (size, yeast, etc.) of the original post but only the ingredients and the hops schedule .. Weird. I see it now on my laptop.

Sorry for what seemed to be a bizarre message :/

Somewhat urgent question:
I'm brewing 2 gallons on this recipe tomorrow. I see the recipe calls for 2 x vials of California ale (did I misread?). This is the first time I'm using this type of liquid yeast and it says on the label that one vial is good for 5 gals.

Should I still be using roughly 1 vial for 2 to 2.25 gallons of this? or half a vial as per the labeling? If it's 1 full vial can someone give me the theory behind this? (higher abv = more yeast?)

Im cooling he wort right now, about to pitch yeast.

Im really digging the taste! Though i'm still a noob, I never would have thought to mix Willamette with Cascade and am glad to be experimenting/learning how to match hops together

I have got to say I keged this beer it sat for 3 days in the keg then I started drinking it everyone that tried it all 4 people lol talked about how great this was it only lasted 2 weeks I have two other beers on tap and this one I just couldn't stop drinking I'm going to get supplies again to make this one tomorrow best beer I have made thanks for the recipe

Beginner all grain brewer here. I brewed this recipe adapted for 14 gallons and using S-04 ale yeast. I got great efficiency in the mash, so I ended up with a OG of 1.076. I'm currently at 1.022 after one week in the primary. Should I be concerned it's not lower? I pitched 2 liters of healthy sludge straight from a Pale Ale. Began fermentation at 67 F, but it dipped a few degrees around day 4.

-Brewing at 7000 feet in the Himalayas

Beginner all grain brewer here. I brewed this recipe adapted for 14 gallons and using S-04 ale yeast. I got great efficiency in the mash, so I ended up with a OG of 1.076. I'm currently at 1.022 after one week in the primary. Should I be concerned it's not lower? I pitched 2 liters of healthy sludge straight from a Pale Ale. Began fermentation at 67 F, but it dipped a few degrees around day 4.

I'd think you'd want to get it drier than that. Maybe leave it longer and see if it continues to go down.

Mine took almost 2 weeks to reach final gravity with using two vials of yeast give it time it will reach it and it is well worth the wait promise

This is my third batch. Plus one ready to bottle and one in the carboy.
Can't say enough nice things about this recipe. SWMBO loves it. She hates citrus hops, thinks they smell like cat pee.

Thanks @enohcs for sharing.
Like the man said "not the hop bomb you normally expect from an american IPA, but damn it's tasty."

Made a starter with one vial for the first batch. Washed and saved yeast for subsequent batches.

If I was to make a small batch of this (2.5gallon), how much wort would I want to be taking from the mash. Considering that it's a 90 minute boil, I don't want to end up with not enough at the end?

BUMP ... can anyone confirm the Hops in this recipe are just by weight regardless of %AA? ... I am ready to go shopping to brew this Saturday. My question is the Hops quantities all listed as pellets in ounces with no %AA or AAU?

Thanks Dan

Thank you Allen..... so did I get this right?

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min (15% AA = 15 AAU)
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min (4.7% AA = 7 AAU)
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min (4.6% AA = 2.3 AAU)
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min (4.7% AA = 7.05)
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min (4.6% AA = 4.6 AAU)
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary (4.7% AA = 9.4 AAU)

The problem is that I can't do the recipe as written; I don't hve 5 gallon equipment. Only 3 gallon, which i can get to 3.5 if I push it, but i do 3.25 to be safe.

As I messed with the BeerSmith vs my own calculations last night, I possibly realized that the scaling of recipes via BeerSmith may be non-linear; thus, when I applied the 3.25/5 ratio to all of the ingredient, I found that it did not match what beersmith predicted when I used it's scaling function.

Has anyone experienced this?

The recipe I plan to go with is to enter the recipe verbatim into BeerSmith and than scale it to match my equipment.
I am having similar issues. (Haven't read all 51 pages, so this may have been covered). I am using Brewers Friend and created a new recipe using the information on the first page of the thread. What happens is when I put in the pre-boil water (to fit my profile and recipe) the IBU's go off the chart, example: for a 5 gal batch I put 7 gal pre-boil and the IBU's go to 97.63... Is this to be expected? The recipe with the correct batch size (fermentor), and all of the other numbers correct as described in this thread, my pre-boil estimation is only 3.6 gal, without adjustments...

Another example: I have scaled this to a 3 gal batch, when I put in my pre-boil water estimate calculated by BrewersFriend of 4.95 gal, I get an IBU number of 104.26... (BIAB by the way)

I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything. I plan to brew this using my normal methods to reach my calculated pre-boil estimate, unless you guy's say otherwise!

Thanks everyone!

Here is some more information, Below are the quick stats for this beer in BrewersFriend for a 3 gal batch scaled directly from the 5 gal recipe..

Recipe with IBU's close to enochs' post: (note boil size and IBU)
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: **Award Winning IPA - 3gal
Author: enohcs - HomeBrewTalk.com

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2.2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.092
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 7.14%
IBU (tinseth): 65.83
SRM (morey): 7.24

Recipe with pre-boil volume adjusted to my equipment profile: (note boil size and IBU)
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: **Award Winning IPA - 3gal
Author: enohcs - HomeBrewTalk.com

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.95 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 7.14%
IBU (tinseth): 104.26
SRM (morey): 7.24

Back again and I think this is an issue with BrewersFriend... I added the recipe into Beer Smith and the numbers are more where they should be, still a little different from the thread, IBU=71.5, but more consistent. I will be brewing this today and looking forward to it!!

Thanks and Happy Brewing!

Mine took almost 2 weeks to reach final gravity with using two vials of yeast give it time it will reach it and it is well worth the wait promise

I racked it to a secondary on after two weeks. It's now day 19 and I'm sitting at 1.021 without much movement. I don't mind waiting longer, just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.

My starting gravity was 1.078, a full .013 higher than the target of 1.065. I used 1.5 liters of healthy S-04 sludge from a Pale Ale that was just bottled.

can i change the Crystal 20 to Crystal 30?
maybe put less in? would that drastically change the beer taste notes?

I racked it to a secondary on after two weeks. It's now day 19 and I'm sitting at 1.021 without much movement. I don't mind waiting longer, just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.

My starting gravity was 1.078, a full .013 higher than the target of 1.065. I used 1.5 liters of healthy S-04 sludge from a Pale Ale that was just bottled.

Last time mine ended at 1.016 my original gravity was 1.087 because I add 14 oz of honey to mine at the start of the 90 min boil but I have never have used "sludge" or washed yeast so don't acc know if thats alot or not I know I use two vials and I have to put a rubber hose in the top of my carboy that I have tk c force in and use that instead of a rubber stopper with an airlock bc it blows the stopper out of the top if I don't. But I always was taught if the bubbling has stop or came to an almost stop give it two days send that's it rack it bc it isn't going to go down any more I'm sure yours will come out great let me know how the finish product is!!! I can't wait for min it's been siting in the carboy now for 9 days and is still just a bubbling away it has slowed down alot but sit active I'm gonna start another one as soon as it's day 4 in the secondary bc of how fast the first one went I don't want to be without this beer again lol

If this picture uploads this is how I do mine now

Screenshot_2015-04-20-09-05-30.jpg

It's now at 1.020, so I'm encouraged by some slight movement. I went ahead and added some more healthy s-04 from a batch of Pale Ale that is currently fermenting at full steam. let's see what happens.

i love this recipe!

I use crystal 15 and NorthWest Ale 1332 yeast (which I guess makes it Englishey) when I brew this (about twice a month). I gonna try it next time with American Ale II next to compare.

Anyone else experiment with the yeast strains in this great IPA?

This recipe is my go to for all things ipa. I switch the hops and yeast almost everytime. I usually lager it when I am too busy to tend to the makeshift swamp cooler because my wife does not like to use the ac and it's too hot here in the desert to leave it out otherwise. Cry havoc or California lager. Whatever I have washed really. Turns out pretty tasty. I did get a couple Belgian versions in this winter. Still drinking one, I used Belgian golden ale yeast and a ton of New Zealand hops and it's damn good but the wlp 570 really doesn't accentuate hop flavors well.

Back