Using a Secondary for the first Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Well to most of you this will seem imature but after just fermenting for a week and then bottleing, a system I used for over 20 years, I discovered this forum.

I have just bottled clear beer that has been in a Secondary for two weeks. and I cannot wait for it to carbonise. I used the 1 2 3 system and I am wrapped.

I have always decanted my beer into a jug to remove sediment but I am hopeing that the small amount of sediment left after the bottle is primed will be insignificant.

That is one reason I did not use Grolsch bottles as I like a perfectly crystal clear beer to drink and decanting from a small bottle does not seem appropriate.

I am about to make some darker beers so knowing the sediment level will be great as it is not as apparent in those types.

Just for interest on longevity I have had beer stored for over two years and was sorry I did not have more.

I will stay away from kegging as that would make the beer too available. I just keep a couple of bottles in the fridge.

I will stay away from kegging as that would make the beer too available. I just keep a couple of bottles in the fridge.

If you can resist temptation and move to kegging, you will be able to trully get crystal clear beers with zero sediment.
The ability to force carb allows you to let all (well almost all) yeast settle out in the primary or secondary and there is no reproduction when priming for carbonation.

Just an FYI:D

Actually I am one step closer. A fridge started to look ordinary and the wife says she needs a new one after 30 years so I now have a fridge. Coat of paint and new door seals etc and it should last many more years. I will consider a keg maybe for my special brew. I am a pensioner and cost is an issue.

The Australian Coopers Sparkling ale is supposed to be naturally fermented in the bottle and they have a slight amount of sediment in them. They are famous for it.

So far the beer is clear and loooking goood

I am the same about kegs. I am pretty sure that I would not be able to resist "just one more" so I bottle, and keep two in the refrigerator at a time.

Back