Coopers' Draught OG 1034

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_b

Reaction score
Fairly new to this (4 beers bottled), and been getting some funny things going on on the hydrometer, including FG's of 1012 on a couple of beers done with lager enhancers, etc. But this one's really got me confoozed - an OG of about 1034 on a Coopers' Draught kit with 1kg dextrose and 23 litres of water. There's nothing I could have messed up.

What's the chances my borrowed hydrometer being gammy? I fill the skinny tube it lives in that's marginally wider than the hydrometer, and sit the thing in there till it settles. A few pokes to make sure it's consistent...???

What it boils down to is I'm worried my beer is going to be missing out on the most important part - alcohol content :( ;)

Twist the hydrometer around ensure that there are not bubbles sticking to it. Then check the measurement again.

You can check the accuracy of the hydrometer in water at 60F. It should read 1.0. I would try it otherwise you may not have mixed the batch well and are getting a screwy reading.

I dont think the most important part of beer is Alcohol content, But if you didnt stir well you will get a watered down Hydrometer reading.

Thanks for those suggestions. Checked hydrometer in water for a true reading of 1000 :( .

Also stirred the wort hard out for about a minute to ensure plenty of oxygenation...??

Again, thanks for the ideas tho!

d_b said:
Was just baiting ;) Kind of.

What was the temp of the wort when you took your reading?Also next time you make one of the prehopped cans, try about 1 kg of DME you will like it much better.

I think I see the problem. 1kg of Dextrose. Coopers kits call for 2 kg of extra fermentable sugar, and you're 1kg short which accounts for the missing gravity.

Sheesh, that sent me running to the recycle bucket to check the empty can!! In this one (the draught), it calls for the normal 1kg of sugar.

Regarding DME, does one simply replace 1kg of sugar with 1kg malt?

Wort temp was about 23c (73f). Still is. Fermentation still hasn't really kicked. Thinking bout doing a yeast starter in future, if I can figure out how.

Thank you for feedback thus far!!

Mutilated1 said:
oh yeah... my bad

its 2.2 # or 1 kg not the other way around - sorry

Yeah its that darn metric system. You have to remember, we yanks are still on the old English system as goofy as it might be.

BTW Yeast starters are very easy. There are instructions on here as well as in Palmer's online book.

Where are you? Oz?

Regards,
Al

New Zealand, Christchurch, on the east coast of the South Island.

We have some great beers here, but I was inspired to start home brewing because of lack of funds after 1st child born. Now I'm becoming a bit of a HB addict.

I can buy a Coopers kit, and dextrose for what amounts to about $10US. Or a locally produced kit with hops from New Zealand's Nelson region and barley from my own province for about $12US.

Anyway, it's bubbling away today, and the low OG remains a mystery...

Well I have made alot of cooper kits and if you are adding that ammount of sugar the og doesnt seem too far off. When I started I used to make the kits with 3# of liquid malt extract and the OG would be around 1039 or so - recently I have started adding a little more malt though to the kits. I like to have my beers around the 5% abv for the most part and a little higer for IPA - in anycase it sounds like your beer will be ok - just have a drink a few extra each session :)

cheers

heh, will do!

I'd heard that upping the alc vol by adding more dextrose messed with the flavour something chronic. If I switch to malt (which EVERYONE seems to be recommending), can I simply add more malt for a higher ABV without making a nasty swig? I'd be dead keen on 5% on average.

You sure can - that what I usually do to add a little extra % is add more malt. You wont need a whole lot more to get t up to 5%. I think about 4# of liquid malt extract added to the kit will get you there - If your using dry malt extract you can use a bit less. The coopers draft is nice has a little bitter bite to it.

Enjoy

heh, will do!

I'd heard that upping the alc vol by adding more dextrose messed with the flavour something chronic. If I switch to malt (which EVERYONE seems to be recommending), can I simply add more malt for a higher ABV without making a nasty swig? I'd be dead keen on 5% on average.

You can do as Grasshopper suggest,plus use less water 21-22L.That will also boost ABV.I have a Coopers Dark Ale right now at 6.28%ABV. I did a partial extract and 22L of water, 1kg of DME,and 400g of liquid adjunct(high glucose brewers syrup).:mug:

Back