Grandma's basement treasures!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I went to my grandmothers house for Thanksgiving. I was asked to help clean some stuff out of the basement and I found my grandparents old liquer and wine stash. Theres probably 30-40 bottles of unopened liquer and another 40 bottles of varies wines from their travels in the late 50's-early60's all over the U.S. I asked if I could have a couple bottles for helping clean and grandma said no problem help yourself. So I got a 1960 bottle of Hennesey and a 1960 bottle of Crown Royal still in the box and velvet bag. I know that the Crown will not age in the bottle....but I was wondering about the Hennesey. Will it get better with age. I figured it might since it is Cognac.......but I'm not sure. Any ideas.......

I don't know about aging, but I say dont open them....just put them on a shelf, and show them off. Whe someone says that they have a 12 year old bottle of Scotch, tell them you have a 47 year old bottle of Crown. They don't need to taste it, they will just drop to a knee and worship.:cross:

All the wine bottles are stored on their side. I saw at least 1 more bottle of crown, another bottle of Hennesey, a bottle of Ol Dan Tucker and a couple bottles of Spanish cream sherry. Actually while my grandma and I were takling about the liquor in her basement she told me that she has had a bottle of cream sherry in her fridgerator for over thirty years. I started laughing and said show it to me. She opened the door and reached her hand way all the way in the back of it and sure enough a brand new bottle of cream sherry from the 70's. She said we are going to drink it at Christmas. I'lll let ya know how it is if it doesn't kill me.......wish me luck.

Back