Pitched my yeast at too high a temp. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
So my thermometer was broken last night when I brewed my ESB (and perhaps I was a little impatient) and I may have pitched my yeast at too high a temperature. Well, at least I hope that's the problem because 24 hours later, there is no (as in, zero) yeast activity.

The guys at the brew store said to move it to a warm place (it was in the basement at 60, now upstairs and closer to 70 degrees) and wait another 24 hours to see if things will get moving on their own.

What should I do if nothing happens?

-I planned to activate and pitch another smack pack (no starter)
-The homebrew folks said to pitch a dry yeast.
-Or I could reculture another yeast and pitch again in 24+ hours.

What would you do?

Is my wort going to be ok until I can figure out how to get things going?

Agreed. Unless you made a sizable starter you should expect 24-48 hours lagtime depending upon temperature and the viability of the yeast that you are using.

I pitched a starter into my porter at 8:30 pm on Saturday and 4 hours later it was starting. By 8:00 the next morning it was very active.

I pitched a packet of nottingham right out of the packet (no rehydration) at 7:30 on Saturday night and by 8:00 the next morning I was starting to see activity. By 8:00 pm on Sunday it also was very active.

I've had 3 days of lag time before because I didn't make a starter first.

no starter and less than perfect aeration = long lag times. plus you were at 60F for the first day...a bit chilly to get yeast to wake up.

I've pitched at 100F and had my yeast survive. As long as you were below 120F, it will probably survive.

Thanks for the help, all. I have an update for anyone interested...

So yesterday at noon, I decided I would buy another smack pack just in case I wanted to repitch the yeast (worst case scenario). When I got home, I saw huge, unsightly masses of trub floating on the surface of the wort. I panicked at first and then realized this was a good sign!

Sure enough, after many breathless minutes, my airlock gave the slightest flicker.

I threw a brew belt around it last night and at 7am this morning, there was genuine yeast action.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

Back