Wire wine rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensmith

Reaction score
I finnely got my wine rack made! It just cost $75 in materials and holds 360 bottles of wine.
Now to get it filled.....

image-705065887.jpg

image-1192504932.jpg

Post a cool final product and not describe materials or any details of how you made it? Check.

Are those 2x8s?

Looks like simple 2x4's to me. See how they don't cover more than half a bottle length.

What's holding the wire to the boards? When its full that wire is going to pull hard on whatever is holding it up. Hundreds of pounds of fermented goodness. (Drool)

Looks like simple 2x4's to me. See how they don't cover more than half a bottle length.

What's holding the wire to the boards? When its full that wire is going to pull hard on whatever is holding it up. Hundreds of pounds of fermented goodness. (Drool)

Alright I'll vote 2x6, looks like s2 wire staples holding it.

Sorry, out planting peas!! No matter how much snow, peas get planted on my birthday!! Luckily this is an early spring so I did not freeze digging barefoot in the mud :)!

One sheet of goat livestock pannel cut in half with bolt cutters. ($50!) These have 4x4" holes. Three 8' 2x6" finished lumber. One either end plus one in the center. Resting on old bricks we tore out of the house decads ago. Screwed to the ceiling of our hand dug dirt celler. Used electrical wire clips to secure the pannel to the 2x6's. Some times the placement of the 2x6 was not perfectaly square, so full sized wine bottles do not fit. However the 375ml bottles or beer bottles fit just fine.
The livestock pannels can be found at livestock feed stores. Even Tractor Suppy has them, but some stores you will need to special order them, and cost $57. They can be gently folded to fit in the bed of a truck, and tied in. Folded too firmly and the pannel warps. That is why there are seperators on the left. My pannel got warped. Kinda like me!!

Someone else on this site, I think, made a rack with the same goat livestock pannel. It was under their stairs. Fancyer looking too!!

WilliamSlayer said:
Congrats! Looks awesome.

Any worries about air circulating past the bottles? Temp regulation?

Thanks!!

Temps stay nice and cool all year long. I've never put a thermometer down there, but in the winter it is cold enough to use as a fridge, just above freezing. Warmer in the summer, but still less then 60 degrees I think. Any bottles I bring up stay chilled for a couple of hours.
There is air cerculation, more in the summer when the celler is not shut up for winter. The wire rack allows plenty of air movement between bottles. Moisture is my biggest concern. The floor is mostly clay with some sand. It has never seen daylight and is not dry. Last year I had a few bottles grow a thin coat of mold on them. I assume they were bottles I overfilled and did not get all the way clean. The wine was not bothered inside. The bottles were also in boxes, so air movement was not as good as it is now.

Thanks for the idea, I might have to use that in the future. I like how you thought to stagger the fencing very slightly get a bit of a tip on the bottles.

BrokenDog said:
Thanks for the idea, I might have to use that in the future. I like how you thought to stagger the fencing very slightly get a bit of a tip on the bottles.

No staggering of the pannels. I just pushed the bottles in past where the neck started. It naturaly tipped the bottles in a downward angle. The pannels are close enough together that you could set them level as well. Just better stability of the bottles not to.

No staggering of the pannels. I just pushed the bottles in past where the neck started. It naturaly tipped the bottles in a downward angle. The pannels are close enough together that you could set them level as well. Just better stability of the bottles not to.

Thanks for the carification.

Latest posts

Back