Making strong beer (almost barley wine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rope

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just joined up here tonight after bottling up my "lets give this a try" recipe. drinking

I'll give a little background before we begin.

I've made wine a few time back in university (graduated 2 years ago) but always made it from random stuff (from the grocery store and nature) which have turned out alright. I actually just found 10 bottled of a raspberry wine at my parents place that has aged 3-4 years, tasted it last night, it was pretty decent, but still sketchy since I bottled it fast to get me drunk in university. It had some sediment in the bottom for sure.

Anyways, last December, I decided to try out some beer brewing, made a couple of expired batches (one expired 2005, one in 2000, and yes the yeast was still viable! which I also used) and the beer turned out good! These are all from canned kits.

Now I've made those 2, and a non expired Mexican cervesa, and an English bitter which turned out great as well.

Tonight I bottled up a recipe. It was a regular canned stout, which I only made 14L ( kit makes 23L) and instead of 1 KG of dry malt extract as required for 23L, I used 2 KG into the 14L.

Now I'm drinking away on this right now, just the stuff I tested the FG on, and its sitting at about 8%. I think I'm going to like it when its finished.

Anyways, I bought 8 kits that were expired in 2012 from a local brew shop, 2 stout, 3 wheat, 1 lager, and 2 draught. I'm just wondering if there is anyone who plays around to make strong ass beer. I'm going to mix and match, or just make half kits just to test out what kind of "barley wine" I can make with these.

Any suggestions?

Back