Pale Liquid Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yet41

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question about a type of extract. I would like to brew a certain beer, but it calls for 6.6 pounds of Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM). I have had some difficulty finding this online.

So I was wondering:
1) Does anyone know an online site that sells this? or
2) Is there some sort of substitute out there? Is there another name for this stuff?

Thanks!

Maybe post the recipe and we can help you find a suitable malt extract to use. But in general the SRM of a light malt extract (especially liquid) isn't going to make that great of a difference. I personally would go with the lightest pale malt extract I was able to find if you are going for a light color in the final product. As far as an online source for ingredients try, northernbrewer.com or Austin Homebrew Supply. Both are reputable companies and have good customer feedback around here. If you are doing an English beer morebeer.com sells a Light English Extract by the pound.

Cheers

Damn i got to type quicker, Bradsul Nice 900th post :)

Ok, this helps out a bit. I was wondering if a light extract would work. Is a light malt similar to pale malt? The recipe was for a bourbon vanilla porter I found online. It seems popular; it's got 40 pages written on it at http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=22693&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 . I have a partial mash recipe for it. The ingredients are:

6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 49.0 %
2.09 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 15.5 %
1.90 lb Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.1 %
1.24 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 9.2 %
0.82 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.1 %
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.41 lb Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
1.77 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
1.10 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

And of course, vanilla beans and bourbon.

I've been looking at Midwest Supplies, in particular http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11148

Would something such as Breiss Light Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract work for the pale extract?

Thanks guys!

Yes and no, Pale malt is similar to Light malt. Depending on the origin of the malt used to make the extract. The malt called for in this recipe really in the long run won't effect the final product too much. As you are going to be getting a lot of flavor and color from your PM grains. I would just go with a "light malt" or a "Pale Malt" extract, whatever is going to be easiest for you to get.

And yes the breiss Light Malt extract would work fine.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back