White Chocolate Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp1316

Reaction score
I'm going to make an Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale from the recipe in the book Radical Brewing. The last time I made it I added vanilla for aroma, but this time I'd like to have a white chocolate aroma...to achieve this should I just add some white chocolate in the secondary, or at the end of the boil, or ?

jp1316 said:
I'm going to make an Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale from the recipe in the book Radical Brewing. The last time I made it I added vanilla for aroma, but this time I'd like to have a white chocolate aroma...to achieve this should I just add some white chocolate in the secondary, or at the end of the boil, or ?

White Chocolate is pretty much all cocoa butter. You will most likely have problems with head retention given the oils involved. You might have better luck if you can find some white chocolate extract.

I was hoping that the oatmeal would counteract that a little bit since it is supposed to help with head retention.

I made a double chocolate oatmeal stout with Ghiradelli dark chocolate at the end of the boil and had some head retention issues. During fermentation, the beer never formed a krauzen due to the oils. I kegged the beer which turned out great, but the head never lasted much longer than the first few sips. In the future, I will use cocoa powder instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was looking at that earlier as a possibility. I'm going to just try adding that to the secondary at some point. I'm debating whether or not to adding some lactose as well

Back