Mash out with direct heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

player2ma

Reaction score
For the mash out can you just raise grainbed temp to 168F by direct heat or is adding 200F+ water preferred? I would like to minimize the amount of water added so I can maximize my fly sparge.

You can raise mash temperature by a variety of methods. Infusions, decoctions, direct heating as well as mechanical devices like a RIMS or HERMS all will do the job.

Depends on what you're using for a mash tun. I direct fire mine, since I mash in a converted 1/2 bbl keg. I recirculate the wort while heating though, to avoid scorching the grain. Once I've reached the mash-out/sparge temp, in the mash tun, I then sparge.

You have to be REALLY careful if you don't have a false bottom (grain touches the floor) using direct heat. Recirculating has no effect in that scenario.

I brewed with a buddy a couple of years ago who uses a braided tube as a mash filter. Needless to say, I recommended a mash out and the wort tasted like burnt roux afterwards. I went ahead and fermented it but we did not drink that beer. I believe his dad drank it, though! :D

I mash out without a false bottom using direct heat... stirring like mad for whole time. I have not noticed any flavour/colour difference from using that method and from skipping that step.

Do you folks that recirculate in the MT find you pack the grains down when you do that? Do you reverse the flow? I mean, in my head if your recirculating during the mash out, are you actually doing the vorlauf at the same time?

I direct head in a pot on my stove without any issues or scorching, no false bottom. Just keep the setting low and stir and I am fine.

Do you folks that recirculate in the MT find you pack the grains down when you do that? Do you reverse the flow? I mean, in my head if your recirculating during the mash out, are you actually doing the vorlauf at the same time?

The grains don't pack down as you don't want that! You still want the grainbed pretty fluid, so you need to throttle down your pump if the grainbed is compacting. But yes, it also serves as a vorlauf.

I'll recirculate until I go to the BK. I just move the hose over to the BK then.

YOOPER! Geez girl, seriously? half naked dude this early in the morning? What happened to the chick with the whip, thanks how you say good morning!....lol

Back