Some pics I took at work today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottis

Reaction score
Taking the "tires" off our 90 ton Shay steam engine, once re-profiled in our wheel lathe, they will be replaced and the engine reassembled, hopefully in time for running season 2012!
Cass Scenic Railroad State Park, Cass WVa
f1d4lk.jpg

262tk6q.jpg

ieh0z7.jpg

72vhj4.jpg

2zyvnl2.jpg

10o4g7c.jpg

aagpj6.jpg

nbp01.jpg

We're also re-flueing our 1905 80 ton Shay 5, making new line shaft bearings for the 11 and the Big Six (1945, 150 ton) our other engines are only in need of general maintenance and the yearly fed boiler inspection. 80 ton Shay #2 is still undergoing a boiler rebuild and wont be running for at least another year or two.
Cass Scenic Railroad
301812389_gJoUm-L.jpg

I do love my job, sometimes it just hits me; They PAY me to do this!!! :)
----
CSRR #2 Backin' down after helping push the Bald Knob train up the hill.
bv5x.jpg

Some other pics;
28iunh1.jpg

23uqurd.jpg

mhgi9v.jpg

My SWMBO and me, in Shay #5 (1905 80 ton class C)
22jjm9.jpg

The only way our job could be better would be if they allowed us to drink beer on the job. The cab of the 5 gets up to 130-140f in the summer, and there's no automatic stoker either, it's all hand shoveled coal.

I take that back, it's probably a very good thing they don't allow Beer on the job, that wouldn't end well... I spent a night in the hospital summer '09 from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

The snow shot would be an awesome postcard for Christmas!

Thanks for the photos... keep 'em coming!

Man I was going to post pics from my work today and you stole my thunder! I suppose these are better than the 4 beige cubical walls I was going to show.:(

Seriously, great pics Ottis!

I love it. A couple years ago we took a family vacation to Durango, Co. We rode that old steam train. It was great. My youngest boy really loved it.

Steam engines are well before my time but have been a fascination of mine as long as I can remember, you sir have my dream job!

I recall getting word many years ago that an old steamer was heading to perminant display at a railway museum. They decided to go in style to that museum, under full power and as fast as she would go, I can still remember the awe I felt as it thundered past me and my father on its final journey, belching steam with whistles blaring.

I am glad people like you are keeping these old beasts alive and running, I would hate to have my little son miss out on some of the wonder I felt as a boy.

I remember pop tellin me stories about those old steam engines back home in WVA. We have a senic railway with one of those over in Independance,OH. Runs by a piece of the canal,I think.

Yes, they're shrunk fit onto the hubs. If you're ever around steam engines you may notice that there are "wheel wetters" pouring water onto the wheels as they go. This is to keep the "tires" from heating up due to breaking and friction in the turns. The geared Shay, Climax and Heisler steam engines were made to operate on VERY steep grades (compared to normal trains) Most railroads consider 3% grade to be steep, Shay engines were built to pull their own weight up an 11% grade. Example; a 80 ton Shay can pull an 80 ton load up a grade raising 11 feet for every 100 feet it moves forward. A few places on our railroad are about 9-10% grade.

A friend of mine was also taking pictures, he's a pro photographer and his pics are so much better then mine..

6nqt5y.jpg

xle1lf.jpg

a2ghsk.jpg

35d3ll3.jpg

35a105g.jpg

Scriptunas images --Walter Scriptunas II | SmugMug

I was unaware of the wheel wetters. I imagine it was an important job considering that there are no differentials on those machines so some way to introduce some slip was needed on the wheels to keep frictional heat at bay

Back