Keezer Build: Upright or Chest Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Considering size constraints, which is better for keezer builds, upright or chest?

I like the upright for low foot print but it may only hold a few cornies where the chest type could hold more.

Which do you prefer and why?

the problem with alot of the upright freezers that you'll run into is that the coils are built into the shelves. This making it impossible to adjust height. just my 2 cents

A big advantage to chest freezers is that you can build a wood collar at the top of the freezer and then attach the lid to the top of the collar. You tap lines can be drilled through the collar if you plan to have metal faucets with shanks. By doing this you can restore the freezer back to it original condiction w/o having put any large holes in it. I don't see how this could be done with an upright freezer but I have only been using my keezer for 4 months now.

I made the collar from a piece of 2x8 pine lumber that I cut in the shape of a box to fit the extact dimensions of the freezer top. Then I used a piece of 1x4 lumber to build the skirt around the base of the collar so that I did not have to use any adhesive to make it stay in place. Add a little bit of weather stripping on the inside bottom of the collar and it seals tight.

This is probably way more info than what you were asking but I thought I might share it because I got the idea from other people here on the forum.

0905001604.jpg

0905001604a.jpg

I would rather use a chest freezer for the reasons listed above. Obviously either will do, but you get more bang for your buck out of the chest freezer IMO.

If you wanted the upright orientation of the upright freezer could you just use a standard refrigerator and this way you would not have to buy a temperature control device? I went the chest freezer route because I would be able to store more kegs and the chest freezers are much cheaper than upright freezers if you are looking at buying one used. My came from Craig's list for $75 and will hold up to 6 kegs.

Another advantage of chest freezers is that you can mount a tower faucet on the top of them which looks nicer to many people. A 5 cubit ft chest freezer can usually hold 2 kegs and your CO2 tank. I have seen many people mount a tower faucet with 2 outlets and then have this unit inside the house w/o taking up a large amount of space.

Thus, you might want to ask how many kegs you would like to have and then start looking at options.

Latest posts

Back