Graff fermenting temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I made a batch of brandon o's graff 36hrs ago. I still don't have activity in my airlock whcih is weird for me I haven't had a beer or Apfelwein that didn't start within 12 hrs of pitching. Fermenter temp is about 62F I am wondering if that is too cool for Graff or should I just wait longer?

I used:
Nottinham Yeast
.5 lbs of Crystal 120L
4 Gallons of apple juice.
1 gallon of water
2 lbs of DME
0.5 oz of hops

I tried to find the yeast package in the trash to no avail. How long do I wait till it's safe to assume it's no good?

give it another 36 hours, if still nothing then its time to worry, before anything you could always take a gravity reading

I brewed it with US-05 that I reused from a previous batch. Did a 500ml starter and had activity within hours. Probably bad yeast you have.

I will wait till the morning if there is still no activity I will bring the bucket upstairs and see if warmer temps do anything. If after being upstairs for 24hrs I still got nothing happening I will repitch with some US-05.

I doubt it is too cold. I just used US-05 at 62 degrees in my graff and it took right off. Ive used notty down to 54 deg. in beers. It could be a bad lot of yeast. Are you starting to see any colonies of yeast forming/clumping together?

Back