Oak Aged Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider that I put in the fermenter a little over 2 weeks ago. It is made with 3 gallons of Whole Foods unfiltered juice, a can of apple juice concentrate, a TBSP pectic enzyme and Cooper's ale yeast. OG was 1.060 and it fermented down to 1.002. I toasted some Jack Daniels oak chips on the grill for 3-4 minutes.

IMG_20100926_141810.jpg

I put 1/2 ounce of the toasted chips into each of the jugs the juice came in after steam sanitizing them. Then I racked the cider into the jugs. I plan on checking the taste after about 5 days until the oak is at my desired level and then bottle.

IMG_20100926_181605.jpg

Wow that sounds intresting. Have you tried it before? I've kind of been on a cider kick lately.

This is the first time I have tried oaking anything. Woodchuck's fall and winter seasonals are oaked and SWMBO & I really enjoyed them last year (especially the winter one.)

This might sound crazy, but what about trying the classic BBQ smoking chips? Like mesquite, cherry, pecan, and hickory. I think it might go nicely if you have the cider during the summer/BBQ.

I tasted a sample from this batch tonight and it has a VERY strong oak flavor. I racked it off the oak and will let it age for awhile. Hopefully, the flavor will mellow out with some time.

Back