This Is Strange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
Let me say up front that I don't bottle my beer very often. Back in January I bottled five gallons of pale ale. I let it carbonate for two week then chilled a few and drank a few. They were perfectly carbonated. I didn't drink any more of the bottled beer because I had a bunch in kegs. Last week I put the rest of the bottle beer in the fridge laing down. When I drank one it foamed over real bad. They all did. Then I moved the last six to a shelf where they could stand up. Low and behold, no foam over. Perfect carbonation. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

i cant help but think back to many a post about people having a foam over problem. even after putting them in the fridge for a few days. now that you have shared your story i got to wonder.

I've had batches that for some unknown reason seemed overcarb'ed, but could not figure out why. I usually use 4 - 5 oz of dextrose to carb, but switched to using light DME. Haven't had many over carb, but usually Keg now and only bottle batches I want to age.

I've had batches that for some unknown reason seemed overcarb'ed, but could not figure out why. I usually use 4 - 5 oz of dextrose to carb, but switched to using light DME. Haven't had many over carb, but usually Keg now and only bottle batches I want to age.

thats because DME isn't as fermentable as corn sugar. some styles of beer require more carbonation than others. 5 oz is quite a bit of sugar.

In your case you roused the yeast from the sides of the bottle (when laid down) when you stood them up for pouring.

Once standing up and the yeast (sediment) reached the bottom all was "safe" once again.

That's what I was thinking. I have a case left that I'm going to give to a friend that helped me brew this batch. I'll have to make sure I tell him to keep them up right before he drinks them.

Back