Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
So this morning at about 7am, Roofpig came over and we started my first ever homebrew (he got me most of my equipment too so kudos to him for creating a monster). A very simple amber ale that he did his first time as well. I feel very comfortable with the process so far and everything went well during the boiling, transferring to the primary, and ice-bathing. Only odd thing during the boil was there were 3 hotbreaks as opposed to 2 like the package said. Im not worried about it.

After the boil, it cooled very quickly from the snow/water ice bath and it is currently sealed and sitting in my basement with the airlock that he got me.

Here's where my question comes in: he got me a double bubble airlock where there are lines where the water should be in each chamber. After plugging the hole, the water slowly changed sides from the "out" chamber and almost fully to the "in" chamber (pictured below). I added lines as to where the water is. Sorry for the poor quality, only had my cellphone to grab the pic.
03140014451.jpg

Now, i am probably just overreacting because this is my first brew and i want it to go 100% right, but should I do anything to correct this? If i dont, what could possibly happen (for knowledge purposes). Sir Roofpig says it probably will just correct itself and i assume that is the case as well since there will be quite a bit of gas once the yeast start sexing and pooping and such so the gas would have to push the water over. But just to make sure, you know just what-if the gas doesnt have enough power to move the water, i have decided to ask you.

Also, this is an introduction thread for me as well since i have been lurking for a little while but havent said anything quite yet.

Any suggestions, tips, comments, jokes, etc will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Here's what happened: The wort cooled off further after you put the airlock on and the pressure inside of the bucket decreased, causing a small suction effect. Nothing major to worry about. Many people fill their airlocks with cheap vodka in case this happens and the liquid actually gets sucked in. I fill mine with sanitizing solution (that it's been soaking in anyway before I put it on) and never have a problem. No worries though, you're good to go. Welcome to the obsession!

i sanitized the airlock prior to using it and the water i used was just directly from the tap. I dont think that the water will get sucked in since there probably isnt enough to actually make its way over that final hump, but what if the water were to actually make its way into the beer? Even though everything has been sanitized and its just regular water thats made it into the brew, does it run the risk of infection?

Please dont mind my questions: i am trying to learn as much as i can about the whole process. I am extremely intrigued by everything having to do with homebrewing :)

no worries:) the gas will move the water...trust me. It will be going like crazy soon enough.

congrats on the first beer and use this site as a tool...everything you need to know is at the touch of a button :)

get familiar with the search tab.

cheers !

as stated above, cheap vodka or sar-stan work great! I used water for a lone time with no issues. now use sar-stan b/c why not.

Thank you for your help, the water in the airlock has returned back to their correct levels, this being cause by one of two things: i wrapped a blanket around the primary to lessen the chill a bit and add some insulation so it may have returned to a more normal temp thus equalizing the pressure -OR- the yeast has started to work its magic just a little bit and some gas has pushed the water over.

Either way, its working and im happy that my only problem so far has been water levels in my airlock. Anyone have any idea how long its gonna be until something visible happens like bubbles and such? Am i in store for the foam to get into the airlock at all?

usually it will be going strong in 12 hours but can take as long as 72 hours to start. It your fermentor is big enough you shouldn't get krusen in the airlock. Thats more common fermenting in too small of a fermentor or a carboy.

Anyone have any idea how long its gonna be until something visible happens like bubbles and such? Am i in store for the foam to get into the airlock at all?

That depends on too many variables to say. It could be a day, it could be several days.

One thing to make sure of, considering your initial post, is that your beer isn't too cold. It should at least be in the low 60s (assuming it is an ale). If the yeast gets too cold it may delay the start further or prevent it altogether.

And, in the completely opposite direction, beer in the airlock is usually caused by too warm a temperature :)

This brew is an ale. The temp in the basement hovers right around 60 degrees if not just a bit cooler. the primary is on some cardboard and a towel and since i have wrapped it in a blanket for insulation, i am comfortable that it will be fine. I am going to rack to my secondary on easter day but will probably take a hyrdometer reading within a couple weeks or so

This brew is an ale. The temp in the basement hovers right around 60 degrees if not just a bit cooler. the primary is on some cardboard and a towel and since i have wrapped it in a blanket for insulation, i am comfortable that it will be fine. I am going to rack to my secondary on easter day but will probably take a hyrdometer reading within a couple weeks or so. thank you all!

Okey dokey. It may take awhile to start, then. If it doesn't appear to be starting, warm it up.

Back