Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragen

Reaction score
Anyone got a recipe for Belhaven Twisted Thistle IPA?

Really want to try making this one at home :mug:

Just wondering if you have found the recipe yet? Ive been looking around and cant find it?? Thanks Happy Brewing

I agree...we need a recipe. This is in my top 5 favorite beers.

Here's a recipe I found on brew-it-yourself.co.uk...

drewthe brew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 am Post subject: Best Drink To Date Reply with quote
I had a pint of this last night and its the best bitter I've made yet !

It tastes very similar to Belhavens Twisted Thistle which is good because thats what I was aiming for with the recipe.

Very simple recipe :

5 gal brew length

grain

Maris Otter - 4.5kg
Crystal - 0.25kg
Torrified Wheat - 0.2kg

hops

Cascade - 25g - 90 min
Challenger - 25g - 90 min
Cascade -15g - 15 min
Cascade - 12g - 0 min

whirlfloc 15 min

Nottingham yeast

OG 1046
FG 1011

A very refreshing pale bitter with citrus aroma and taste. Perfect for a summers evening .

I'll be brewing this again very soon

edit : forgot to mention that this beer was started on 23rd Jan so its only had 2 weeks conditioning and is crystal clear and very drinkable

Thinking about trying it this weekend, but what's "whirlfloc"?

-Jbot

Bump* Anyone else try this recipe? I just ordered from my "LHBS" and wondering if it is close like Judasbot says, if not I'll post after i find out..

Also Judasbot did you rack to secondary or straight to bottles? and if so what was your time line in the fermentors

Fdemt,

I never got around to brewing this. I'm in the middle of upgrading my setup and haven't welded the tabs on my burner that are required to hold my new keggle up. Once Finals is over(this week), I hope to get back on the ball.

Jbot

Jbot, Gotcha. I'm just waiting on the grains to get in so I can brew it hopefully within the week. I guess I'll shot for 5-7 primary and 4-7 in the secondary.. best of luck with finals

I had that beer in bottle a few months ago. Very nice and restrained English version of an American IPA. Even my american hop disliking wife thought it was very good. I prefer a bit more hop bittering and flavor, but this is a good one. The recipe looks like it would be about right. That crystal would either be a 40 or 60 L variety in my estimation. I'd say the bittering was probably in the 40's, not too bitter.

mabrungard- Thanks that seems to be right in line with what Im hoping for. Im not a big hop head (yet) so this should be a good starter for me, and the wifey loves this bier +1 for more brewing in the future!!

Finally brewing this right now...and hitting all the numbers. I totally just upgraded everything I own, but more on that later.

-Jbot

fdemt84 - thanks for feedback. What do you reckon would get it closer? Could you taste any of the challenger orange thing coming though? I wondered if a small challenger flavouring addition might help(?)

I remember it tasting good but as far as how close off the top of my head I couldn't tell you. I'm out of town the next 10 days by can let you know when I get back and can look at my notes. I haven't brewed in awhile but I do I know my next brew or two will consist of this one again.

So, did anyone ever brew this, and if you did, how did it turn out? I've been making Scottish ales for the last couple of months (for the Highland Games season here in Florida), and I feel like something with hops, but not overboard.

Cheers & Sláinte,
Howard

i have, and everyone that had it loved it. I could not tell you how close it was to twisted thistle but it was tasty nonetheless

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, I'm going to make this, but I have a couple of questions.

1} original recipe calls for 0.25kg / 9oz crystal - what did you use? I'm thinking of using 8oz crystal 40L and 2oz crystal 120L.
2} what temp did you mash at? I'm thinking of 152°F.
3} what temp did you ferment at? I'm thinking of 68°F.

Cheers & Sláinte,
Howard

I dont have my notes with me (currently out of country). give me about a week to week and half and i can get that info to you. if you dont hear back from me by the 24th post a quick reply to remind me. Thanks and cheers

Sorry been pretty busy with work and didn't get back in country until just recently. I don't know which crystal I used it was light. (Guessing 40l)
I will be brewing again in another week or so an I'm going to use 1lb of 45l. My mash temp was 148f. And pitched yeast at 68 fermented at 72. I switched to secondary 9 days in then let sit for 5 more days before bottling. OG was 1.062 FG was 1.008 (FG might be off showing I took at 72 deg, not sure if I corrected)

Zombie thread resurrection: Has anyone tried this and/or made any changes that got them closer to the real thing.. ?

I do enjoy a Twisted Thistle on occasion..

Back