CaraFoam and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Not sure if this needs to go here or in kegging. But a question for you none the less. When making a beer that you are going to keg but are still considering head retention. Do you cut down the amount of carafoam to conpensate for any foaming from force carbonation? just a thought. Tell me if I am completely out of my mind on this but I use carafoam in most my beers and was wondering about this. Thanks

When you say carafoam do you refer to the foam-contol drops that has another name I cannot quite remember - Ferms Tabs? Ferm something or Something Ferm?

If so I think that the head (comprised of CO2 bubbles) is much different from the foam produced (mostly O2 and traces of other gases being boiled off from the wort). Commercial breweries use the stuff so you should have nothing to worry about. I get nice heads on my Belgians and hefes.

Not sure if this needs to go here or in kegging. But a question for you none the less. When making a beer that you are going to keg but are still considering head retention. Do you cut down the amount of carafoam to conpensate for any foaming from force carbonation? Thanks

No. These are two different issues. If your kegged beer is properly carbonated whether forced or primed and your system is balanced with serving line diameter, length and pressure, foaming should not be a problem.

No. These are two different issues. If your kegged beer is properly carbonated whether forced or primed and your system is balanced with serving line diameter, length and pressure, foaming should not be a problem.

Thank you. I was just wondering if it was doing it double head duty so to speak. thanks

When you say carafoam do you refer to the foam-contol drops that has another name I cannot quite remember - Ferms Tabs? Ferm something or Something Ferm?

Nope. Fermcap is for krausen control. He's referring to Weyermann Cara-Foam, a trademark name for Cara-Pils / Dextrine malt / etc.

Back