Robert the Bruce recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
:mug: I went to a local brew house last night and had a three floyds (Munster Indiana) Robert the Bruce. I can't find a recipe. Here are some of what I am thinking. Based on my tasting it may or may not include the following. If you have a recipe that you can vouche for please post it here.

Style=Scottish 80----)obvious with their american take on it.

I think it is about 25-30 IBU and about 7-8%ABV.
Maybe a Rahr base(I don't think its MO) with Aromatic 5%, Melanoidin 3-5% and maybe a Crystal or carastan at 5%.

I have no idea on the what Hops it would have but I would think they were boiled at 60 and 30 minutes with no aroma addition, Possibly a mix of Centennial or even a Spalt/Saaz. Maybe a Wyest ESB like WY1968?

I would highly recommend this beer if you like Fullers ESB or the like.
Your ideas peeps?

I don't believe that is the same beer that I had last night. Thanks for the link though. I know that guys at Three Floyds grow their own spices and I wonder if they put something to add that special touch to the brew.

I live by Three Floyds and I frequent there. I'm not sure about the specifics of Robert Da Bruce. Two things that I know that may help you are; 1. Most Three Floyds beers actually use Wyeast 1968 London ESB, they feel this yeast cleans up after itself nicley amongst other things. 2. I have also been told that for the most part, their beers only have one hop addition, other than initial bittering hops. These statements were given by one of there brewers at a homebrew club meeting at the brewpub. This is just what they said sorry I can't help you more, I'm somewhat of a newb and don't have the whole cloning thing down yet.

Oh yeah and allegedly Three Floyds never answers their e-mail.

cpz28 said:
I live by Three Floyds and I frequent there. I'm not sure about the specifics of Robert Da Bruce. Two things that I know that may help you are; 1. Most Three Floyds beers actually use Wyeast 1968 London ESB, they feel this yeast cleans up after itself nicley amongst other things. 2. I have also been told that for the most part, their beers only have one hop addition, other than initial bittering hops. These statements were given by one of there brewers at a homebrew club meeting at the brewpub. This is just what they said sorry I can't help you more, I'm somewhat of a newb and don't have the whole cloning thing down yet.

Oh yeah and allegedly Three Floyds never answers their e-mail.

That is great info. Thanks and enjoy living so close to 3F's.

Bringing this thread back from the dead, as I had this beer the other day, and it was amazing. I must attempt a clone, so here's what I collected from their website, I'll do some more research and see what I can come up with for a recipe.

Robert the Bruce:
A full bodied Scottish-style ale with a well rounded malty profile of roasted and caramel notes. 6.5% ABV, 35 IBUs, $4 Imperial pint

here's more of what I came up with:
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.015
IBU: 35
Brewed with two row pale, roasted and Melianoidin Magnura malts, chocolate malt, roasted barley
Centennial hops.
medium-bodied with a big malty body that has a nice balance of hops. It finishes with a lingering bitterness and notes of coffee beans.
wyeast 1968: london ESB

now I know all that information doesn't add up, or agree with each other, but it's a good place to start. I'll post back when I have what I think will be a descent recipe.

and here's roughly what I came up with. I think a decoction mash would be in order with the sach rest on the higher side, say 156-8ish. But maybe a decoction wouldn't be needed with the Melanoidin.

Robert The Bruce clone
Eff: 70%
OG: 1.066
SRM: 18*
IBU: 35
8lbs 2-row
2.25lbs Melanoidin Malt
1.25lbs Munich
.25lb Chocolate Malt
.125lb Carafa III
1oz Centenial @ 9% 60mins
Yeast: wyeast 1968

I put this down on my list of thing's to brew. It's probably about 4 or 5 batches out, so I'll keep tweaking it occasionally from now until then and when I finally brew it, I'll post the final recipe and tasting notes, side by side with the real deal.

bringing this back from the dead. Any follow up on this? Drinking a Robert the Bruce as I write and would love to make this.

I'm not really familiar with this beer but a friend asked if I could dig up a clone recipe. Looking around the net, I did find someone who reported getting the following grain bill from 3Floyd's directly. Anyway, I figured I'd share what I had found.

OG: 17plato
FG: 5.5plato
Ibus: 30 All at beginning of Boil
90 Minute Boil
Yeast: Fullers

85% 2Row US
5% Caramunich
3% Crystal 10
3% Crystal 55
2% Melanoidin German
1% Black Patent
1% Roasted