Keeping open packages of whole leaf hops for dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I see so many recipes that have 1/2 oz combinations of hops at the dry hop stage. Keeping a half used open package of pellets is relatively simple, throw it in a jar or something. Personally, I only use whole leaf hops for dry hopping. How do you guys keep a partially used open package of whole leaf?

There's two particular issues I see. 1) Degrading freshness from oxidation. 2) Sanitation. This later one isn't important for boil additions. For dry hopping though, I feel more comfortable dumping in a freshly opened package than one that's been open and stored for however long.

Short of a vacuum sealer, which is a great invest, one can use ziplock bags and use a sink/vessel of water to partially submerse the ziplock forcing most of the air out. Then freeze.

Just sack up and add the extra half oz!! Your beer will be better for it.

This is why I always try to formulate my recipes using whole oz of hops.

Just sack up and add the extra half oz!! Your beer will be better for it.

This is why I always try to formulate my recipes using whole oz of hops.

To be honest, I have 1 oz of Columbus and 1 oz Cascade that I'm planning on using for an IPA in the primary right now. I'm considering using 1/2 oz of each for 7 days and the remaining 1/2 oz of each for the last 3-4 days. I know freshness is not really a concern with only a few days open, but sanitation does run across my mind.

To be honest, I have 1 oz of Columbus and 1 oz Cascade that I'm planning on using for an IPA in the primary right now. I'm considering using 1/2 oz of each for 7 days and the remaining 1/2 oz of each for the last 3-4 days. I know freshness is not really a concern with only a few days open, but sanitation does run across my mind.

When dealing with hops, sanitation is not a concern. They have natural preservatives that keep them from infecting beer.

I only cut a corner off of the package to get out what I need, then fold a piece of duct tape over the opening to make it airtight again. Sure it would be better to flush with CO2 or Nitrogen, but I don't have that capability.

I figure the original foil pack is more resilient than transferring it into a ziploc bag or other container and minimizes the amount of time exposed to air.

I also store all my hops in the freezer.

I toss them in to a Mason jar... Many different hops over time...

Then I brew a "Kitchen Sink IPA" where these hops are the bittering hop... usually something else for flavor.

I have made a lot of good beers this way and do it once a year...

and I do write on the lit what I actuall have in the Jar

DPB

Back