Looking for a house yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
daksin said:
It's not- direct from Chris White: SD Super doesn't come from any San Diego brewery. Like I said, Stone has a proprietary strain that is not sold. I'll see if I can dig up the strain # for you. SD Super is also good for stone clones in that it's not estery at all, ferments fast and flocs extremely hard. It is a much more finicky yeast to work with though. It's my house strain, so I know.

The reason some folks think one strain or the other is Stone's baby is that Stone's yeast is said to be an old British strain, which would fit with WLP007 since it flocs hard, ferments dry, and is not very estery, and the same with WLP090 (which is even more flavor-neutral).

Personally, I'd be willing to bet good money that WLP090 is a descendant of a British strain based on its hard floccing abilities and its freaking incredible need for oxygen and tight temperature control, but neither one is Stone's yeast. Both make for good clones, as I said, though.

Neva Parker was on the brewing network a few weeks ago and tasty asked her what brewery WLP090 came from and she said it was from a SD brewery but wouldn't name which and went pretty quiet.

Neva Parker was on the brewing network a few weeks ago and tasty asked her what brewery WLP090 came from and she said it was from a SD brewery but wouldn't name which and went pretty quiet.

I heard that, too. The loudest silence I've heard in a while :)

I like to use lots of different yeasts, but Pacman & 007 are definitely my favorite. Had a bummer experience with 002 but I'm getting back on the horse & using it for a Bitter this weekend since Williams Brewing hasn't gotten my 1469 Yorkshire yeast to me... it's been almost 10 days!:mad:

Sorry OP :off:

Here's the video (44s in):

Chris White says it's a variant of WLP001. Also says they had been working on it for some time and it's just being released now- that doesn't line up with it being from Stone, which has had their proprietary yeast for years and years.

Edit: Stone's strain is WLP5036

HHduz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I decided to go with both pacman and Wyeast 1450 dennys favorite. Pacman yeast is not available to buy from wyeast so I have to harvest it from a bottle, I already order 1450 but unfortunaly my LHBS and online shops here are out so I had to backorder it from Wyeast (trough my LHBS) it takes three weeks to arrive. I guess I´ll have to stick to what I have around for next few batches.

Well I decided to go with both pacman and Wyeast 1450 dennys favorite. Pacman yeast is not available to buy from wyeast so I have to harvest it from a bottle, I already order 1450 but unfortunaly my LHBS and online shops here are out so I had to backorder it from Wyeast (trough my LHBS) it takes three weeks to arrive. I guess I´ll have to stick to what I have around for next few batches.

So order it online and have it in three days.

So order it online and have it in three days.

I´m in Spain there is only two websites that sell liquid yeast, they ship in 24 hs but none of them haves the yeast that I´m looking in stock. One of those stores allow you to back order anything that´s available from Wyeast but it takes around three weeks, that´s what I´ve done, I also order myself a couple of rogue beers to harvest some pacman, today being friday they wont get here until monday or tuesday and them I have to harvest the yeast grow it in petri dishes and build it up to a starter that can take two weeks more so it´s about the same time :D

I´m in Spain there is only two websites that sell liquid yeast, they ship in 24 hs but none of them haves the yeast that I´m looking in stock. One of those stores allow you to back order anything that´s available from Wyeast but it takes around three weeks, that´s what I´ve done, I also order myself a couple of rogue beers to harvest some pacman, today being friday they wont get here until monday or tuesday and them I have to harvest the yeast grow it in petri dishes and build it up to a starter that can take two weeks more so it´s about the same time :D

I see that now. I take for granted how easy it is to find Wyeast / White Labs. When you order yeast from the local store or online, do they have reasonably fresh yeasts or are they getting towards the Best Buy date?

The good thing about back ordering it that you get the freshest yeast available, they order every month and along with their order they ask for your directly to wyeast so yes you get fresh yeast if you order like this. If you buy what is it in their stock you never know but I have returned yeast because the best by date it was to close.

Obliviousbrew - What brew did you use to harvest PacMan?

Others on the PacMac bandwagon ---- which brews are best to harvest from? Rogue uses it nearly in everything don't they?

Obliviousbrew - What brew did you use to harvest PacMan?

Others on the PacMac bandwagon ---- which brews are best to harvest from? Rogue uses it nearly in everything don't they?

I just buy it from Wyeast and keep it going with starters. I would go with dead guy or the stout if I was to harvest it. Six pack of dead guy should yield a decent amount of yeast.

I've used 1056 more than any other yeast and while it is certainly a work horse in fermenter it seems to lack a little extra something that makes a good beer a great beer. I think it's a great beginner yeast though. When in doubt you can't really go wrong if you want dry, clear and neutral.

I've used 1272 a few times and it usually finishes a point higher or so than the 1056. The LHBS pushes this strain over 1056 but honestly I don't see what it brings to the table. For me there was always an off flavor when I used this yeast. It's fairly neutral like 1056 but not quite as attenuative.

I've used 1098 once and thought it did an exception job. It finished a 1.053 beer in 4 days and cleared within 5! I ran 1272 along side it and the 1272 took a week to finish and 3 weeks to clear. I have been trying to make a Fat Tire Clone for a year and a half now and I think i got the grain bill now but the fermentation with 1056/1272/1762 weren't right (especially not the 1762, which is what NB pushes for their kit). The final beer was crystal clear, clean, low in esters and malty. I currently have 1098 doing another Fat Tire attempt (minor grain bill adjustment and brewing water adjustment). If this one also turns out good I might consider doing an IPA with it.

I just used 1450 for the first time last week in an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink IPA. I can report on that in a month or so but that'll only be 1 experience.

I don't think you can get it from wyeast any more?

I can handle drinking a 6er of dead guy ;)

I just bought some friday from my LHBS. He had three packs of it and they were all relatively fresh. Not past their prime at least. Might be a deal where the shop has to sell brewcraft kits since those come with rogue stickers for some of them.

I poked around, found a few online venders with it. MoreBeer & Rebel brewer...

$8 for a clean sample or $12 for a 6 pack of Dead Guy and the joy of stepping up a culture....

Decisions Decisions

I poked around, found a few online venders with it. MoreBeer & Rebel brewer...

$8 for a clean sample or $12 for a 6 pack of Dead Guy and the joy of stepping up a culture....

Decisions Decisions

Dead Guy is the one beer I didn't have luck harvesting.
might have been old though.

Back