Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta be "phyllo." That thin Greek pastry. Crumbly, weak, no structural integrity. Man, you haven't seen me rampage like the last time someone mocked my structural integrity.

Went in today to swap an ancient co2 tank for a new one and was telling the guy what I had on tap- cherry wheat and apfelwein. He looks at me and goes "cherry weed? That sounds awesome!"
Is that dry hopped to get the cherry flavor?:confused:

I saw those Japanese ones on Fox 8 last June or so. Daaaayyyooom! My wife said they looked like the ones in Fallout 3! I see the Africanized bees around here, but not as much as before that virus came through the area some years ago that wiped out a lot of the beekeepers I used to work with. Used to be a lot of fresh honey for sale around here. Not so now.

Virus wiped out the beekeepers, you say? I take it beekeeping attracts individuals with the immune system of a pterodactyl.

Edit: No offense to beekeepers intended - I've got hives myself (and they are uncomfortable!)

The bees were wiped out. The beekeepers gave up, from what they were telling me at work about back then. Damn shame. I wanted to brew with some fine local honey. Raw (unpasteurized) wildflower honey is my favorite, especially with any sort of herbal teas. It perks up the flavor of the tea's constituents. So I figured it'd be great for a hefe or something that's floral to start with, like Bavarian hefe's. Honey production around here is still off compared to what it was.

If you do not know what type we are referring to this is it.

japanese-giant-hornet.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Lolz. Good one! I'm hearing Beaky Buzzard here...Nooohohooo no no! "I'm bringin' home a baby bungle bee, ahhh loopa loopa loop ah loop ah loop..."...

If you do not know what type we are referring to this is it.

japanese-giant-hornet.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

I have a couple shotguns you can borrow. I was field artillery in the army so if u know anyone with a good cannon I can shoot it with that.

I have a couple shotguns you can borrow. I was field artillery in the army so if u know anyone with a good cannon I can shoot it with that.

"Bees! Bees! Bees in the car! Bees everywhere! God, they're huge and they're sting crazy! They're ripping my flesh off! Run away, your firearms are useless against them!"

From Tommy Boy

All this talk about bees reminds me of
beesbeesbees.com

Whoever made that website deserves an award.

I saw those Japanese ones on Fox 8 last June or so. Daaaayyyooom! My wife said they looked like the ones in Fallout 3! I see the Africanized bees around here, but not as much as before that virus came through the area some years ago that wiped out a lot of the beekeepers I used to work with. Used to be a lot of fresh honey for sale around here. Not so now.

If you have seen africanized honey bees in Ohio I hope you reported it! As far as I know the farthest north they have been found is in Oklahoma & Arkansas. Surprisingly, the spread in Florida seems to have been slowed considerably. Due in large part to the high numbers of bee keepers we have here.

We seem to have strayed quite a bit off topic in this thread!

There had been a law in place to Africanize your colony at that time. But most have been wiped out by that virus. But they can keep Beezilla!

The bees were wiped out. The beekeepers gave up, from what they were telling me at work about back then. Damn shame. I wanted to brew with some fine local honey. Raw (unpasteurized) wildflower honey is my favorite, especially with any sort of herbal teas. It perks up the flavor of the tea's constituents. So I figured it'd be great for a hefe or something that's floral to start with, like Bavarian hefe's. Honey production around here is still off compared to what it was.

If they were africanized bees then they would have survived. They have a much stronger immune system than regular bees. Cause of the bee dieing problem there is a program in Australia where they are trying to hybridize the bees and have them be stronger like the africanized ones but without the aggressiveness bred into the genes.

Not sure of the details anymore, but that was the gist of it as I remember anyway. Maybe they didn't do it soon enough? But in the immortal words of Murray Saul, "they kill our bees, but we can STILL eat our honey"!!

If they were africanized bees then they would have survived. They have a much stronger immune system than regular bees. Cause of the bee dieing problem there is a program in Australia where they are trying to hybridize the bees and have them be stronger like the africanized ones but without the aggressiveness bred into the genes.

Once you go africanized, you never go backfricanized.

When I was a meter reader here in Southern California, the company brought in a beekeeper who had an Africanized bee removal service, to talk to us about them. The gist of his talk was that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone; if you mess with them their response is all about total overkill.

One example he gave was a colony that had lived in the attic space of an apartment building in Riverside for several years, with no problems. One day they went nuts and attacked everything and everyone in sight, and wound up killing a poor pit bull that was tied up and couldn't get away. The owner of the dog carried on to the news media about how she was going to sue the apartment owner, the city and all sorts of other people for allowing such a danger to her family.

Turned out it was her own children who set the bees off, by trying to lob firecrackers through the hole in the stucco they used as an entrance.

One of us asked the beekeeper if he destroyed the Africanized bee colonies he removed, and he said it would be crazy to do so. Instead he very carefully collected their queens with them and moved them to hives on his own property, because they're such efficient honey producers. In fact, his personal opinion was that the original introduction to the wild in Brazil couldn't have been an accident, because the release of 26 swarms bypassed too many safeguards. He thought the researcher experimenting with them did it on purpose, because of their superior productivity.

Not agreeing or disagreeing; just repeating what the beekeeper thought.

Back