Honey Wheat, when to add honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
I will be brewing a honey wheat tomorrow. I am all ready to go, just have some conflicts on when and where to add the honey. Some say late boil, some say at flame out and others say just add to primary.

What have you done and how has it worked out?

I put it in at the end of the boil and let the kettle sit for about 2 minutes. The book I have on mead making discusses long boils, 10-minute boils, no boils. He concluded that putting the honey in fresh boiled water and letting it sit for 10 minutes before force cooling to pitch temperature pasteurized it and retained the best balance of honey taste and aroma.

I'll be brewing a honey wheat on Tuesday and plan on adding at flame out. That's always what a friend of mine did and his turned out EXCELLENT!

Personally I boil everything at least for a couple min, but adding it at either 5 min left or at flameout will preserve the delicate floral flavors in your honey. Though ultimately the yeast dont care if you boil it or not :3

Back