HARD Time with Beer QD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Anybody have serious difficulty getting the beer (black) quick disconnect to slide down the output keg body? It seems every now and then that sucker does NOT want to go, and I can't even get it down to slide the ring into locked position. That's when I gotta get out my deadblow hammer and make things happen:mad: I mean, I gotta get that beer out!

Seriously though, I thought there was a different shaped keg body for gas in and beer out, but they look the same. It's not just a single defunct black QD either...I've had it happen before. You think keg lube might help?:confused:

Let's just say that if you have to force it on then it's the wrong post. Chances are you have them switched.

There are other threads here with pics of both, but basically it's this:

If the post has a small flange (near the middle), is removed from the keg with a 12-point socket then it is GAS IN and the grey QD is used.

The BEER OUT is usually 6-points and the flange is twice as large.

The SIMPLEST way to remember which goes where is Grey is for Gas and Black is for Beer...or GG and BB. :D

Keg lube will definitely help assuming the posts are correct. That stuff is liquid gold IMHO

Man, I knew there had to be some difference in the posts! So 12 points, gas in; 6 points, beer out. I think I probably just put matching posts on the same keg, assuming that the only difference was the size of wrench needed to remove them. I'm gonna try it! I think you guys just managed to keep my blood pressure a little lower....

I agree with Homebrewer_99, you've got the posts switched. I didn't notice they were different either until the same thing happened to me. I'm not home right now to check, but one has notches so you can tell. Take note of the differences and write it down so you'll know the next time.

You also may want to only clean 1 keg at a time. Even though all the parts look almost the same, you don't want to find out the way that I did that you have swapped poppets around.

I picked up some gas in connectors from the US and they will not fit on my gas in post on Canadian kegs.

Hawkie333 said:
Man, I knew there had to be some difference in the posts! So 12 points, gas in; 6 points, beer out. I think I probably just put matching posts on the same keg, assuming that the only difference was the size of wrench needed to remove them. I'm gonna try it! I think you guys just managed to keep my blood pressure a little lower....
I'm also betting you have the wrong connector but what homebrewer_99 is saying about 6 and 12 point QDs isn't always true. All of my connectors be them beer out or gas in are 6 point.
The main thing to look for is the difference in size of the flange on the QD. There isn't a big difference but the beer out is larger.

RichBrewer said:
I'm also betting you have the wrong connector but what homebrewer_99 is saying about 6 and 12 point QDs isn't always true. All of my connectors be them beer out or gas in are 6 point.
The main thing to look for is the difference in size of the flange on the QD. There isn't a big difference but the beer out is larger.
You are right Rich. I just assumed he had 6 and 12 points. :eek:

I have 2 different styles for each. I've been asking around to see if anyone is interested in trading posts so I can standardize all my posts to one style (the 6 and 12 point versus the smaller post).

The 6 and 12 point posts are 7/8". I want to standardize to one size because I would only need 1 wrench and the poppets would be interchangable. :D

If anyone is interested in standardizing their posts and acquiring the smaller ones I have like 6 sets to trade.

RichBrewer said:

Rich- Not to nuke this topic, but by "connector", you mean keg body, right? I was pretty sure the quick disconnects (grey/black parts) are standard, or am I wrong about that too?

Back