Do you HAVE to Ferment it cold to use lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerninja

Reaction score
I dont have the means to ferment cold becouse i make my beer out of my berraks room. but i wouldnt mind using Lager yeast. any tips? can i use lager yest if i can ferment it at 50? how dose it tast? can i mix ale and lager yeast? someone lemme know.

:drunk: BEERNINJA!:drunk:

in a nutshell, yes, but then its a steambeer, not a lager. and it won't taste 'clean' like a lager...it'll have more character like an ale.

i've never lagered but I think 50F is a little over the upper-range for a true lager...you might barely pull it off.

Steam beer used a special form of a lager yeast that is designed to ferment at around 60°, not at ambient room temps. Ferment too high, it'll be fruity and potentially develop other off-flavors. What benefit do you expect to get from using a lager yeast rather than a clean-fermenting ale yeast that is better able to handle fermenting at room temp?

Salfager s-33 will work up to 24C, ideal is lower thought. I only know this cuz I'm gonna pitch it in 15 mins.

no problem sir. i'm just a fanatic over S-33 because i LOVED the original Edme ale yeast. made many fantastic sweet meads with that stuff due to its high attenuation (it'd push 12% ABV)

the_bird said:
Steam beer used a special form of a lager yeast that is designed to ferment at around 60°, not at ambient room temps. Ferment too high, it'll be fruity and potentially develop other off-flavors. What benefit do you expect to get from using a lager yeast rather than a clean-fermenting ale yeast that is better able to handle fermenting at room temp?

What kind of lager yeast works at 60? That would be perfect for me because I could just ferment it in my dads wine cellar (thats 60 year round) and not have to worry about temp

Back