BG12 Burner use in a Natural Gas System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laizure

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help in advance.

I am wondering if there is a special orifice is needed for use with the BG12 in a natural gas system. I would rather buy one off the shelf than drill one out. Does anyone know where I can find this online?

Also, if I am unsuccessful finding one of these off the shelf, what size do I have to drill into a normal orifice?

Williams brewing has an orifice for the hurricane burner, maybe email and ask if they know if it would fit?

They are not compatible, that is why I am curious if someone knows where to find one that does. The BG14 and the BG12 have different size threading. I see a bunch of folks out there using these BG12 burners, so there has to been an answer.

Do you know the size of the BG12, several websites have conflicting sizes, and/or what model do you use in your bad ass two stands.

I have a buddy here in Germany who is trying to build a system that needs this.

Theoretically the drilling size in the orifice would be the same for both bg14 and bg 12 right even though they have different thread sizes, right? What is the size of the hole that needs to be drilled?

I also noticed that the some of the bg12 orifice are at a 90 degree while the bg14 are straight, does this make a difference?

The BG12 has a thread size of 1/8 NPT
The pressure of NG in the U.S.A. may not be the same as in Germany. Also, there are a few states that have started using a higher pressure.
NG is very low pressure in CA and the fitting is more of a large hole than what I would consider a restrictive orifice.
The drill size here would be .125" / 3.175 mm

Much cheaper an easier to drill out the orifice to 1/8" as opposed to drilling and tapping cast iron. (BTW, the BG14 opening is 1/4" NPT)

Question:

We established that the BG 12 has an opening of 1/8th while the BG14 has a 1/4 opening. We also established that the Williams gas conversion valve solution will not work with the BG12. Another thing we figured out was you have the option of tapping the BG12 to 1/4 and then using the Williams conversion valve.

This leads me to my question.

I found this website full with gas orifice's located Brass Fittings, Valves, Brass Nipples, Disposable Cylinder Adapter, Gas Orifice, Gas Manifold Parts at the bottom of the page.

My questions are:

What is a #61 orifice?
Will product number CVO125 (1/8" M NPT x 3/8" M SAE GF, with #61 orifice)
or 48-6A-61 (1/8" Male NPT with #61 gas orifice x 3/8" Male Gas Flare 180° fitting) work with a NORMAL HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM (not a natural gas system) using a BG12 Burner?

#61 Drill is equivalent to .039" just shy of 1 mm
Which would work fine for propane (LP)
That website has the highest prices on stuff

Either fitting you listed will work

Back