How many elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
I'm a renter for at least the next 6 months. I only have access to 120v outlets. I have almost acquired everything I need to go electric. Do I...

1) Install (2) 120v elements in my BK and HLT so I can brew immediately?

2) Buy (1) 240v element and wait to have access to more power?

cheers:tank:

electric dryer in the rental but it's tucked away in a corner that's barely large enough to fit it with a door in front. I would need at least a 10ft extension cord to barely make it out the back door to the rig

2 120v elements. I did that. Just a little more work to wire up, and a few more cables running across the floor, but overall really easy. Heats great and you can brew right away. Plus it's easier to brew at other people's houses if you want.

Do what I'm going to do: mount two 2kW 120v elements in your BK and one 120v in your HLT (1.5kW or 2 kW).

A few things

1. make sure you use GFCI outlets
2. put the elements into different outlets so you don't exceed the current (amps)
3. check this site for other safety concers and check with an electrician if you're not sure how to proceed with the outlets

I got my insulated and covered HLT to 150°F with a 1.5kW element within 30 minutes so that's why I mentioned that size of an element.

B

Back