You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure if I don't have to clean the bottles and a 4 pack is all it costs me to get 48 empties ready to go, I'm definitely on a winner
:ban:
I guess that would depend on how good the beer was. :mug:

I usually trade full wine bottles 1:2 for empties. That's from people I know buy really good wine though, so the bottles are nicer then what I'm giving them the wine in.

Twist tops work fine with a bench capper especially for that 6 pack to take to a party so you don't care and have fun!! :mug:

When you bottle a 6 pack from each batch to see how they are tasting before competition time! :)

Forget the six pack...

593225d1295790330-portable-kegerator-tumblr_lffoqed5kn1qgsxaio1_500.jpg

Portable kegerator on wheels is where it's at... That's 64 bottles for a REAL party.

I'm in the process of building one now. I got the cooler and two 3 gallon kegs. I just need to get hoses, faucets, shanks, and a paintball CO2...

Forget the six pack...

593225d1295790330-portable-kegerator-tumblr_lffoqed5kn1qgsxaio1_500.jpg

Portable kegerator on wheels is where it's at... That's 64 bottles for a REAL party.

I'm in the process of building one now. I got the cooler and two 3 gallon kegs. I just need to get hoses, faucets, shanks, and a paintball CO2...

did the jocky box method but this is my go to now!

kkklklklkl-61205.jpg

i dont bother with the small co2 set-ups.. i just use a 2.5 lb cylinder with a micro regulator! works great! :)

did the jocky box method but this is my go to now!

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/7/1/9/7/4/kkklklklkl-61205.jpg

i dont bother with the small co2 set-ups.. i just use a 2.5 lb cylinder with a micro regulator! works great! :)

That's not a jokey box... It holds 2 three gallon kegs all nice and neat.

image_zpsd5f81fdb.jpg

I wonder if a 2.5lb would fit between the kegs? A 5 lb ALMOST does, but it's pretty tightl I don't want to ruin the kegs cramming it in there plus there's less room for ice. That's why it as thinking a 24oz paintball co2 tank.

I guess that would depend on how good the beer was. :mug:

I usually trade full wine bottles 1:2 for empties. That's from people I know buy really good wine though, so the bottles are nicer then what I'm giving them the wine in.

Too bad you're not closer to me. My girlfriend's dad collects wine (over 350 bottles in the basement) and her mom drinks it (over 350 bottles in the recycling bin weekly) If I ever needed wine bottles, I got a source...

I live in an apartment...I brewed a winter warmer Saturday and it is fermenting away right now, it's 55 out and the window is open with a fan blowing in to get the temp into the 60s. My wife is in a sweatshirt and under a blanket but fine with it because of the reason...

The irony of a winter warmer causing you two to be cold was enough that I had to comment. She is a keeper since she puts up with it.

Too bad you're not closer to me. My girlfriend's dad collects wine (over 350 bottles in the basement) and her mom drinks it (over 350 bottles in the recycling bin weekly) If I ever needed wine bottles, I got a source...
Wow, no kidding. A full days drive would be a bit much to pick up bottles though. :fro:

Wow, no kidding. A full days drive would be a bit much to pick up bottles though. :fro:

I can clean and de-label them lol

But ya between her mom and sister, they drink enough wine to keep several home brewers happy. I keg, and I have about 160 flip top bottles, so I never need them.

Hell her dad is always getting amazing wines at smoking good deals. He's always telling me about deals he gets. He will get a bottle that normally cost $20/$30+ for like $3/$5. One time at dinner at their house we had a pretty decent wine. I comment on it and he's like, "ya $1.99 a bottle. I got 5 cases."

He does it when the bottle is on sale at the store and comes with a manufacture rebate and then by buying 6 bottles he gets another 10% off on top of it all... Plus he is always on winebid.com

We always go on vacations with her family. He brings 60 bottles of wine to the week long vacation we go on and 30/40 bottles or so when we go camping or on weekend vacations to the beach.

He always brings over "6 packs" and "12 packs" of wine. Our wine fridge is always stocked and we never buy wine unless it's a special bottle when were out at a winery or something.

Ya it's nuts. That's why I'm building that portable kegerator, her family loves to drink. Lol

30-40 bottles in a weekend is a lot of wine. It's a wonder they don't have jaundice already. Makes me think of the book "A Farewell to Arms"...

30-40 bottles in a weekend is a lot of wine. It's a wonder they don't have jaundice already. Makes me think of the book "A Farewell to Arms"...

It IS a lot of wine... I'm telling you, there's no exaggeration. If anything I under exaggerate. They should live in Italy with the amount of wine they drink.

Her dad hardly drinks anymore because of liver issues, but It's her mom and sister who make up for it. They can pack it down in an evening.

I like wine, but the acid of more than a glass generally murders my stomach. But over the several years we've been together, I've had some amazing wines.

He always prints out the wine spectator rating and description for the wines we drink. I swear we're never drinking anything below a 90 with dinner. Session wines are always in the high 80s and low 90s. One time he scored on some H3 that got a 93 (I think) on wine spectators. He broke those open during a camping trip along with several other wines. I ended up drinking a crap ton that night and ended up wondering off into the camp ground in the middle of the night when it was pitch black out. I remember wondering around with out my eyes open. I was looking for the beach lol...man I was wasted. Good thing I had my phone on me because her dad was putting his shoes on to come look for me.

He bought cases of wine for my girl and her sister as well as the grand kids that have a vintage date of their birth year. So we just finished the last bottle he had for her sister who I think turned 37 or so... And my girl is 27 now. Our son is about to turn 2, so he'll be buying wine for his birth year soon.

He has a school buddy who has too much money and an obsession for wine. He lays down $100s a bottle. He will bring bottles to get-together that rate in the high 90s. Her dad actually has to store this guys wine to keep him from drinking it before it has time to age (they live about 7hrs apart). Her dad sent this buddy a bottle of a really high rated wine as a gift and a note was attached telling him when to open it and how to pair it with dinner. Time goes by and her dad inquired about the wine. His buddy said, "oh ya that was good. I cracked it open while I was moving furniture around in my office."

I think this is the reason I don't get flack from my girl about this hobby. She likes me homebrewing. Hell she drinks more than me even. :rockin:

I agree. I generally drink 2-3 bottles of wine a week, if I'm not drinking anything else.

You fail to rack cider to the last empty 1 gallon jug before starting a batch of JAOM and now have no place to rack the cider.

While sitting at a local establishment you over hear a conversation about wet hops and dry hops and swmbo turns and says, "they are wrong aren't they" based off the disgusted look on your face

When your buddy invites you to a party but says don't bring bottles unless your goin to bring them home

Leadgolem said:
I guess that would depend on how good the beer was. :mug: I usually trade full wine bottles 1:2 for empties. That's from people I know buy really good wine though, so the bottles are nicer then what I'm giving them the wine in.
Did she take them over to his house after work? Just bottles.....

I make as much edibles from scratch as I can, and my family knows it. Once they got whiff that I'm home brewing, I now can't stay stocked. I have requests for something every week almost. They will get what I make them. Lol. My biggest problem is that I will plan a brew, then see another recipe and change my mind. But even my brother, who I thought was against drinking, is inviting me over and asking me to bring some of my homebrews. And my dad and step dad are thrilled about it all. I'm sure to them its free beer, as long as I get my bottles back, that's fine. SD is wanting to trade craft beers for home brews.

Found two packs of S-33 from 2011 in a jacket along with some money. I was wondering where that yeast ended up!

...when you just can't give up on an infected batch & try some new wild ideas to save it. Then Sunday comes along & God works his magic & it's good! Heating some water for the priming solution now...:rockin:

bethebrew said:
Found two packs of S-33 from 2011 in a jacket along with some money. I was wondering where that yeast ended up!

Now that is some **** there looks like they mated and instead if a new generation of yeast they made some money for ya lol

...when you just can't give up on an infected batch & try some new wild ideas to save it. Then Sunday comes along & God works his magic & it's good! Heating some water for the priming solution now...:rockin:
Glad that came out ok for you. I know how much it sucks to throw out a batch, especially when you can't afford to brew another.

Back