Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this 4 weeks ago and is now cold crashing, just tasting the wort and its awesome even the wife that hates beer but is willing to taste everything that I brew (with mixed results) Loves this Red, she wants me to brew this one again.
Thanks for the receipt

Brewed a week ago and its now at 1.013 or so, gonna monitor it the next few days keeping it @ 64F.

I know the enemy is esters at higher temps, but at this point is there any harm in slowly raising the temp up over the next week or so to say 68-70F to finish off the ferment? Its what i'd usually do for any beer but i read to keep these beers cold when fermenting, i just dont want it to stall out.

Brewed a week ago and its now at 1.013 or so, gonna monitor it the next few days keeping it @ 64F.

I know the enemy is esters at higher temps, but at this point is there any harm in slowly raising the temp up over the next week or so to say 68-70F to finish off the ferment? Its what i'd usually do for any beer but i read to keep these beers cold when fermenting, i just dont want it to stall out.

no harm at all in raising the temp

I also brewed this a week ago. I used Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast because I didn't have access to liquid yeast. Took a reading today and it's on 1.016 so ramped the temp from 19 to 20 Celsius.

The hydrometer sample tasted a bit sour which hasn't happened before. Anyone else find this? I'm hoping another 2 weeks in primary cleans it up.

I also brewed this a week ago. I used Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast because I didn't have access to liquid yeast. Took a reading today and it's on 1.016 so ramped the temp from 19 to 20 Celsius.

The hydrometer sample tasted a bit sour which hasn't happened before. Anyone else find this? I'm hoping another 2 weeks in primary cleans it up.

give it time... I've had beers that had a tartness to them young but a few weeks later were perfect

Its always nice when things work, hit expected OG, and brew ended at exactly 1.010 after fermenting @ 64F for 2 weeks.

S-05 w/ 2L Starter(approx, i did two 2L starters and split the yeast for storage for later use)

Im into the second 5 gallons and its far and away my best brew yet. And that's going with Maris Otter and 2 different strains of yeast lol.

It wont make it past St, Patricks day....:D

Checked my gravity today after 10 days and it's gone from 1.064 all the way down to 1.008! 7.3% ABV, this won't be a sipper.

The hydrometer sample tasted hot and alcoholic. Is this the same for everyone when the beer is young? I know I'll have to leave it mellow out but I'm just wondering is this normal for this recipe or down to my process.

I used Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast and fermented at 66F (19C) for 5 days and 68F (20C) until now.

Checked my gravity today after 10 days and it's gone from 1.064 all the way down to 1.008! 7.3% ABV, this won't be a sipper.

The hydrometer sample tasted hot and alcoholic. Is this the same for everyone when the beer is young? I know I'll have to leave it mellow out but I'm just wondering is this normal for this recipe or down to my process.

I used Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast and fermented at 66F (19C) for 5 days and 68F (20C) until now.

I've never used that yeast but at 7.3% it'll be a little hot and it'll mellow out in time

I brewed this on January 23rd and bottled on February 17th as per the original recipe but with out the honey og 1.046 fg 1.008 for a abv of 5 came out dryer than I thought it would but it is the best batch I have ever made thank you for the great recipe mysticmead btw very red

20160227_101728.jpg

I brewed this on January 23rd and bottled on February 17th as per the original recipe but with out the honey og 1.046 fg 1.008 for a abv of 5 came out dryer than I thought it would but it is the best batch I have ever made thank you for the great recipe mysticmead btw very red

awesome looking beer! :mug:

I brewed this up today using Marris Otter as the base and WLP005, hoping to push it a little to the english side. I'm pumped to see how this one turns out. Thanks for posting the recipe!!

So this is going to be my second all grain and I was wondering about the amount and temp of water for the mash.

I just kegged this beer and I had the same exact OG and FG as you did. I think the reason my OG was higher was due to the fact that before flameout I forgot to add my wort chiller. So that added another 15 min. of boiling time to my wort. I also used a dry yeast (US-05). I am going to keg it and bottle the beer using my beer gun. I made this irish red as a tribute to my brother in law that passed away last October. The sample tasted good (not too hot) and I'm looking forward to enjoying a bottle of it.

Kegged my second batch of this on Saturday this is one my favorites so far. I have received alot of compliments on this beer, thanks for the recipe.

I just kegged this beer and I had the same exact OG and FG as you did. I think the reason my OG was higher was due to the fact that before flameout I forgot to add my wort chiller. So that added another 15 min. of boiling time to my wort. I also used a dry yeast (US-05). I am going to keg it and bottle the beer using my beer gun. I made this irish red as a tribute to my brother in law that passed away last October. The sample tasted good (not too hot) and I'm looking forward to enjoying a bottle of it.

Snap, that's crazy! I've chalked the OG to underestimating my systems efficiency but I'll know next time.

I had my first taste yesterday, 2 weeks in the bottle. Came out with practically no head so I'm pretty disappointed at that. Carbonation seems fine though, just no head retention. The alcohol taste is still there too so I think I'm going to put these in a crate in my shed and let them age another 2 months minimum. I can see it being a good beer, but definitely not one to be drunk young.

Snap, that's crazy! I've chalked the OG to underestimating my systems efficiency but I'll know next time.

I had my first taste yesterday, 2 weeks in the bottle. Came out with practically no head so I'm pretty disappointed at that. Carbonation seems fine though, just no head retention. The alcohol taste is still there too so I think I'm going to put these in a crate in my shed and let them age another 2 months minimum. I can see it being a good beer, but definitely not one to be drunk young.

Hope it carbs up! Keep me posted! I'll let you know how mine is when I pull my first pint in a couple weeks.

:mug:

Just brewed this on the weekend. Everything went great, looks and smells fantastic. I added a bit more honey than anticipated, maybe 1.4lbs. Hopefully not a big deal. My sg was at 1.062 and it is going strong now.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

I was disappointed with this after 3 weeks bottle conditioned and kept going over my notes to see what I did wrong. Although I mashed in low I still felt everything else was good. Move up 3 more weeks and I love this beer, time heals all. Thanks for the recipe this will stay in the rotation.

I was disappointed with this after 3 weeks bottle conditioned and kept going over my notes to see what I did wrong. Although I mashed in low I still felt everything else was good. Move up 3 more weeks and I love this beer, time heals all. Thanks for the recipe this will stay in the rotation.

I'm so happy to hear this because I'm feeling the same right now. My terrible patience is a killer though, I just can't wait for this to taste like it should!

I'm so happy to hear this because I'm feeling the same right now. My terrible patience is a killer though, I just can't wait for this to taste like it should!

When I brewed this about 3 years ago it was my fourth batch and I had drunk it all before it was a month in bottle. I thought it was a good but not a great beer.
I must brew it again and give it more time. This plus the experience I gained from brewing 50 odd batches since then will hopefully result in a much improved beer.

The fact that I have stockpiled about 300 bottles consisting of 10 different types of beer will help a lot with the waiting this time. :tank:

Yes! I'm having the same results. At first I was not a fan. I just tried it now and time heals all.

:rockin:

This recipe is so good that I am going to brew it again next weekend but this time I'm adding rye. Not sure if anyone has added rye to this recipe yet or not? If you have, what were your results/percentages? Here is what I'm thinking as far as percentages:

65% Pale Malt (2 Row) US
10% Caraaroma
10% Flaked Rye
7% Malted Rye
4% Carafoam
4% Melanoiden Malt

RICE HULLS AS WELL!!

Any thoughts? I am still planning on using a single infusion at about 153 degrees for 60 minutes.

Back