I think I am too stupid to make root beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1likesme

Reaction score
I purchased the rainbow root beer extract, and the champagne yeast that Austin homebrew supply recommended. I mixed it all up according to the instructions, bottled it, and let it sit. That was four days ago and none of the bottles are firming up at all. There is some sediment at the bottom of the bottles, but that hasn't changed since the second day. the place where i originally left the bottles was a little chilly so I moved them to a warmer area yesterday.

Should I wait it out for a few more days, add more yeast, or dump them?

Thanks

I purchased the rainbow root beer extract, and the champagne yeast that Austin homebrew supply recommended. I mixed it all up according to the instructions, bottled it, and let it sit. That was four days ago and none of the bottles are firming up at all. There is some sediment at the bottom of the bottles, but that hasn't changed since the second day. the place where i originally left the bottles was a little chilly so I moved them to a warmer area yesterday.

Should I wait it out for a few more days, add more yeast, or dump them?

Thanks

I would wait some more. I don't have experience with champagne yeast, but I have read where it will take longer than other yeasts.

I have used bread yeast (experimenting) and windsor yeast and noticed a big difference between the two. The bread yeast is fast acting and would carb in 48hrs or less. The windsor yeast took a week or so.

The thing to remember is the root beer extract probably does not have much nutrition for the yeast, so it will take some time for the little guys to build up.

Keep them in a room temp place for several more days and check the firmness daily. As long as you are getting sediment, the yeast are working.

I do hope you included the sugar and/or honey. I've seen people try to make it with Splenda or some other non-fermentable sweetener.

Champagne yeast can be a bit slow, so I would shake each bottle every day.

Keep them in a warm place- I stick mine on top of my fridge. If it was "chilly" where you had them, that could be why they didn't carb up. Give them a gentle shake to rouse the yeast, and keep them at 70 degrees if you can.

And like David_42 said, check the ingredients to make sure you used fermentable sugar.

I've had root beer carb up in two days, so keep an eye on it!

nah, whatever you do DONT PANIC. put them somewhere warm during the day like near a hot water heater or a warm room. then in the tub at night (just in case). wait a week or so. if nothing happens after 2 wks the yeast prob didnt make it. try hydrating it prior to adding to the recipe next time.

I used some cane sugar from wal mart so i don't think that is the issue. I think it was just the temp, all my 2 litres are squishy still but I have one smaller energy drink can that started to firm up after i moved them.

thanks for the help

also make sure the cap is on securely and that the blue inner gasket is intact
if there is a bunched up gased or the cap is not tight the co2 will escape

just an update,

none of the 2 litre bottles are hard yet (some are very firm but not as hard as an unopened bottle of pepsi)

I am not sure if they have changed in the last few days (it could just be going really slow)

Should I be worried?

id shake a few and if they get hard after it means co2 is coming out of solution which means they are fermenting - just dont open!
dont panic its just root beer
how many 2L did you make?
i store my 2L horizontally while bottle fermenting not sure why this helps but it seems to work (or is maybe just coincidence)

id shake a few and if they get hard after it means co2 is coming out of solution which means they are fermenting - just dont open!
dont panic its just root beer
how many 2L did you make?
i store my 2L horizontally while bottle fermenting not sure why this helps but it seems to work (or is maybe just coincidence)

i have 7 2L bottles. when I shake them I cannot tell a difference in firmness.

I have a few bottles that are getting pretty firm so I think it is working, I am just paranoid.

i have 7 2L bottles. when I shake them I cannot tell a difference in firmness.

I have a few bottles that are getting pretty firm so I think it is working, I am just paranoid.

thats a lot of RB at once, 14 L wow! what recipe did you use, the rainbow recipe that comes with the extract? i also find that i get much better results when i hydrate the yeast for 20 mins before adding to the recipe. glad to know its working - the waiting is the hardest part (just like Tom Petty says).

I used the rainbow extract and followed the directions as listed. I must have not hydrated the yeast properly.

I used the rainbow extract and followed the directions as listed. I must have not hydrated the yeast properly.

you dont have to hydrate, it depends on the yeast you are using. if its dehyrated yeast you should hydrate so that the cell walls of the yeast can function properly. if its a liquid yeast this is less important. it also makes fermentation go a bit faster. i use fleishman's regular bakers yeast so i hydrate whenever i make RB.

Ok, My dad talked me into opening one of the bottles tonight and there was absolutely 0 carbonation, so I assumed that the yeast was dead. I had a packet of Montrachet yeast so I hydrated it for about 20 minutes and added it to the remaining 6 bottles (and 4 bottles of creme soda).

hopefully this will solve my problem.

SUCCESS! I just cracked one a few minutes ago and it is well carbonated. So far I am liking this better than commercial root beer, as it is less sweet and has more licorice or anise flavor.

Thanks for the help.

Back