Tasting my Leffe blonde clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
I recently brewed a partial mash version of Revvy's Leffe blonde clone. The original is a very drinkable Belgian ale, one that I think is a great gateway to craft beer.

I have finally put togther a blog entry that covers the tasting process over a couple of weeks, and looks at how the flavors change with maturity.

Check it out; feedback is very much welcomed!

Nice write up! Why so dark? I just brewed this recently myself, but adjusted grain weight to achieve Leffe's ABV at 6.6%. It's a little over two weeks in the bottle.......two more to go before I pop one.

Nice write up! Why so dark? I just brewed this recently myself, but adjusted grain weight to achieve Leffe's ABV at 6.6%. It's a little over two weeks in the bottle.......two more to go before I pop one.

Thanks for the kind words.

Not sure why it was so dark. I will admit that my photos ALL seem to come out darker than real life (my dark brown ales look positively black when I post them online). That being said, I did find my version to be a darker gold than commercial Leffe.

I did a partial mash version, but I used DME, and added most of it with only 15 mintes left in the boil to help avoid carmelization. I was surprised that it turned out as dark as it did.

Still have not gotten a further reply on my post in the recipe wiki...,,,,

Mine is darker as well but I'm not sure Revvy was going for the color so much as the taste?

I'm playing with the grains now as I believe the flavor is there with the commercial product. Mine is now 3 weeks bottled and coming along nicely

With your partial mash did you get full attenuation, mine fell a little short, I did AG and still tying to figure out my short coming, probably mash temp, still looking for input as well as Ferm temp, I did low at 63.

Curious for input as well:mug:

BTW, nice blog; just read it, you're a few weeks ahead of me so I'm getting anxious to try another bottle in a couple more weeks:rockin:

Still have not gotten a further reply on my post in the recipe wiki...,,,,

Mine is darker as well but I'm not sure Revvy was going for the color so much as the taste?

I'm playing with the grains now as I believe the flavor is there with the commercial product. Mine is now 3 weeks bottled and coming along nicely

With your partial mash did you get full attenuation, mine fell a little short, I did AG and still tying to figure out my short coming, probably mash temp, still looking for input as well as Ferm temp, I did low at 63.

Curious for input as well:mug:

I did get full attenuation. My target OG was 1.075, I hit 1.078. My target FG was 1.017, I hit 1.015. Of course, both of my target numbers were a bit higher than the AG version, due to my partial mash.

I fermented in the mid-upper 60s. I think that it may have touched 72 at one point... but that's well within this yeast's range, and should have given me nothing but spiciness.

I think that Revvy did get a nice color on his; not sure why we are dark.

Back