Question about co2 and fittings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzaremba

Reaction score
I have decided to keep my co2 tank outside of my fridge due to space issues. My question is whether I can use some sort of plastic barb fitting through the wall of my fridge instead of using a stainless steel bulkhead to connect the co2 lines? I cannot imaging that the material of the fitting plays a roll when deal with gas but I wanted to double check before making any mistakes.

I have decided to keep my co2 tank outside of my fridge due to space issues. My question is whether I can use some sort of plastic barb fitting through the wall of my fridge instead of using a stainless steel bulkhead to connect the co2 lines? I cannot imaging that the material of the fitting plays a roll when deal with gas but I wanted to double check before making any mistakes.

I don't think it would matter, but why not just drill a hole the same size as your gas line and run the line straight through with no extra hardware involved?

I don't think it would matter, but why not just drill a hole the same size as your gas line and run the line straight through with no extra hardware involved?

My main concerns are aesthetic and loss of cold air.

I'm doing the same thing with mine, as far as I understand, you don't need something there, but you can if you want to. I was thinking of using something like this, http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10234

I was trying to go without spending the extra money on shipping and stainless steel if it wasn't necessary

I drilled a hole just the size of the OD of my tube. Its a snug fit and I am not losing any significant amount of cold air through it. Try just drilling a hole and if you think you are losing cold air, caulk or put an o-ring on either side. You may be over-thinking this.

Back