Has How to Brew been hacked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried to go to How to Brew - By John Palmer and I got a "this site may harm your computer" warning, I even got it when I tried to go in through google.

Anyone else getting it?

Actually it may be a google error and NOT the actually site...

I just clicked the link I posted fine...but going in from a google link crashes google.

I went to that site with no problems. I have Norton Internet Security 2008. I have the Web of Trust add on for Firefox, and it rates the site as excellent.

It's a google problem. Search for anything and that happens, they must have some software issues going on.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=home+brew+talk&btnG=Search"]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=home+brew+talk&btnG=Search[/ame]

I seached for 'Google' on Google and it came up as 'may be harmful'. I thought that was pretty funny.

Here's what I just found...

Has Google Been Hacked? 'This Site May Harm Your Computer' Appears on All Search Results - mediabistro.com: FishbowlNY

Saturday, Jan 31
Has Google Been Hacked? 'This Site May Harm Your Computer' Appears on All Search Results

harmgoogle.png

Currently all searches on Google appear with the warning message "This site may harm your computer."

Only two links pop up in a search for news on the topic [more now]: one from a site called Thaindian News, which says,

"At roughly 9:40 pm on 31st Jan 2008 (Thai time GMT +7), any search result on google.com showed the message "This site may harm your computer" for all websites including thaindian.com

We wish to reassure users that thaindian.com does not indulge in these activities and this is a goof up by Google affecting all websites.

And one from iTwire.com, which currently won't load. Meanwhile Twitter is all over it! Is this the result of a hacking, or a glitch, or merely some formal announcement that Google is officially stepping into its role as Big Brother?

Google Flags Whole Internet As Malware

Google Flags Whole Internet As Malware
googlemalware.jpg

We’re not quite sure what’s going on, but a couple of minutes ago any search result from Google started being flagged as malware with a message stating “This site may harm your computer”. Including Google’s own website as you can see above.

Twitter is abuzz with people reporting the massive error (also look for tags #googmayharm or #googmayhem), and it’s clear that this is happening around the world. Apparently, it’s happening with any browser on any platform too.

Clicking the message takes people to a support page from Google (image below), but this is being bombarded with millions of people right now so it’s very slow to respond. I saw the page briefly, and it pointed to StopBadware.org (which is obviously also loading slowly or not at all right now).

Update: it seems to be fixing itself. I’m having no more issues on Google Belgium, still getting warning messages for malicious software when I search Google.com. Also, it only seems to occur when you’re searching as a signed-in user now.

Update 2: it seems to be fine now. Lasted about 15 minutes. You can take a deep breath now and go on with whatever you were doing before :)

Now we just have to wait for Google to tell us what went wrong. It’s quite clear that a meltdown of this size, no matter how short it was, will be the topic of discussion for the coming days (and not only at the Googleplex, I’d wager).

Back