Sanyo 4912 Kegerator alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
So for my bday my wife agreed to purchase all the equipment to build a kegerator. She didn't like the looks of the Sanyo and told me to find something else. Does anyone have an alternative to the Sanyo that is around the same size. Also it has to have a stainless steel door.

My Sanyo has the stainless look. It even fits under the counter but I use picnic taps. There is not a lot of options here with colors and size unless you go the keezer route.

I have not seen many a fridge that look as sleek as the metal/black Sanyo. Did you look at the one that was all black or does she not like the metal/black one?

paranode said:
I have not seen many a fridge that look as sleek as the metal/black Sanyo. Did you look at the one that was all black or does she not like the metal/black one?

We looked at the metal/black one. She didn't like the pseudo stainless steel door. She wants something that has an acutal stainless steel door.

Me? I'm all about convience and functionality

so you're in search of a true stainless half-fridge that doesn't have a freezer element and is the right dimensions for corny kegs.

gooooood luck, my friend. be prepared to drop a LOT of money, because if you do find something like that it's probably going to have to be quite rare and thus expensive.

rh348877 said:
We looked at the metal/black one. She didn't like the pseudo stainless steel door. She wants something that has an acutal stainless steel door.

Me? I'm all about convience and functionality
You will likely have to look at commercial/restaurant products. Gonna cost a bit more though. You guys need to talk.:)

rh348877 said:
What about some of the Danby fridges? They are a little smaller but do have the stainless stell door. Think they would work?

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1227~prod_ID~15060
The Sanyo is 4.9 cu.ft. Just make sure that you get one that does not have a freezer section in the top. You just want a refrigerator. It's hard to imagine that there would be such a difference in looks from the Danby and the Sanyo. No compromise here?

Blender said:
The Sanyo is 4.9 cu.ft. Just make sure that you get one that does not have a freezer section in the top. You just want a refrigerator. It's hard to imagine that there would be such a difference in looks from the Danby and the Sanyo. No compromise here?

Found a fridge that she agreed to buy.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...tId=100597197&N=10000003+90072+526369#reviews

It's $299 in the store plus it has a $50 rebate. Not too much more than the sanyo. It's 5.8 cubic feet so no problem throwing two kegs in there. I have seen one person convert this into a kegerator. Problem is there are a lot of instructions on converting the sanyo to avoid the freon lines but not too much for this guy. Drill and pray (jk)? Or does someone have a generic solution to finding the freon line.

RockfordWhite said:
There is a solution you can make, which i can't remember that you can paint on and it will appear...I am curious to know how this works out. How many kegs can you fit in there? Please keep us updated

EDIT: a thick solution of cornstarch and cheap vodka and brush it on the top.
as seen here: http://community.livejournal.com/homebrewing/413981.html

Did some quick measurements and two kegs plus CO2 will fit very comfortably. There is also a fan and electronic temp control on the ceiling that the tower would have to fit in-between. Gonna pick it up today. I'll keep you posted.

Well that looks nice. Says it has a digital temp control. A lot of people pay extra just to have that capability in other fridges. Might be usable for lagering in that case!

In the Sanyo you can feel where the line gets hot in top, which is what makes the cornstarch test work. Not sure if that principle applies to every fridge.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but might be for some.
It would also indicate to me that the compressor is light duty.
From the reviews...

"This product looks great, but as far as a beverage fridge it’s not for domestic beers. The coolest you can set this to is 39 degrees and it struggles to maintain this temp. I would call this a great wine cooler however not a beverage refrigerator."

olllllo said:
Not a dealbreaker for me, but might be for some.
It would also indicate to me that the compressor is light duty.
From the reviews...

Beer writer Michael Jackson proposed a five-level scale for serving temperatures: well chilled (7 °C/45 °F) for "light" beers (pale lagers), chilled (8 °C/47 °F) for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers, lightly chilled (9 °C/48 °F) for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers, cellar temperature (13 °C/55 °F) for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialities and room temperature (15.5 °C/60 °F) for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine.

rh348877 said:
What about some of the Danby fridges? They are a little smaller but do have the stainless stell door. Think they would work?

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1227~prod_ID~15060

Mine is a Danby:

2961-BeerTower.jpg

2961-TowerKegs.jpg

Had it for about 3-4 years now, and it works great.

rh348877 said:
Beer writer Michael Jackson proposed a five-level scale for serving temperatures: well chilled (7 °C/45 °F) for "light" beers (pale lagers), chilled (8 °C/47 °F) for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers, lightly chilled (9 °C/48 °F) for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers, cellar temperature (13 °C/55 °F) for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialities and room temperature (15.5 °C/60 °F) for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine.

For the record, I have a converted Magic Chef wine chiller 2 tapper in addition to my full-size fridge 5 tapper.

The wine chiller can get 45° (well chilled) at best. I don't use it full-time, I only use it for parties. Kegs that go in have already been chilled and so it isn't an issue for me. I know that there are some people here that enjoy it colder. If I run it in my hot garage, well it doesn't do so well...

Since the compressor seems to be much smaller (and quieter) than some I've seen on smaller fridges, I expect that continuously running it at the coldest setting will shorten it's life. Just my opinion, though.

rh348877 said:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...tId=100597197&N=10000003+90072+526369#reviews

It's $299 in the store plus it has a $50 rebate. Not too much more than the sanyo. It's 5.8 cubic feet so no problem throwing two kegs in there. I have seen one person convert this into a kegerator. Problem is there are a lot of instructions on converting the sanyo to avoid the freon lines but not too much for this guy. Drill and pray (jk)? Or does someone have a generic solution to finding the freon line.

Your SWMBO does realize she is going to see your (most likely - unless you buy new at ridiculous prices) beat-up, slightly dented corny kegs through that Magic Chef door, correct? I wouldn't want a glass door (even trimmed in stainless as this is) on my kegerator I don't think...

I have the 4912 and am perfectly happy, but I also know how it is to have a demanding SWMBO! :mug:

I just don't know if she fully thought that through with a see-through door though. A fake stainless door is going to look better than dented cornies, beer lines, and co2 tank visible through glass? No?

Check out this video on converting the Sanyo. The method for finding the freon would work on any fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
RoaringBrewer said:
Your SWMBO does realize she is going to see your (most likely - unless you buy new at ridiculous prices) beat-up, slightly dented corny kegs through that Magic Chef door, correct? I wouldn't want a glass door (even trimmed in stainless as this is) on my kegerator I don't think...

I have the 4912 and am perfectly happy, but I also know how it is to have a demanding SWMBO! :mug:

I just don't know if she fully thought that through with a see-through door though. A fake stainless door is going to look better than dented cornies, beer lines, and co2 tank visible through glass? No?

I put two kegs in there and the glass is smoked and you can't see through it. Looks pretty cool actually.

rh348877 said:

I have the same one for bottled beer fridge behind my bar... sorry to say I dont care for it. The temp only goes down to 41 checked with a thermometer runs alot and the beer always seems warm to me. The little old Kenmore that it replaced would freeze stuff if I set it to low. I converted a upright freezer with a Johnson control and couldnt be happier.... cept my wife keeps putting in groceries...

Edit: spelling

I was eying up the Danby listed by another member on here. It seemed to be the only thing I could find locally that would fit a keg in it. Everything else has the compressor kickout thats way too big. There's a danby on sale for $150 with a stainless front door. I don't know if I can bite the bullet and buy it though. I'm considering going to a used full size fridge.

I found quite a few fridges cheaper but they were all too small to accomodate a keg or my 20# CO2 tank.

Back