Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody asked me why a bitter is called a bitter.

Jokingly I said, "It's more bitter than a beer without hops." Then later said I think bitters or other spices were used instead of hops at one point in time.

Not too far off the mark.

"A bitters is traditionally an alcoholic preparation flavored with botanical matter such that the end result is characterized by a bitter, sour, or bittersweet flavor. Numerous longstanding brands of bitters were originally developed as patent medicines, but are now sold as digestifs and cocktail flavorings."

And as beer!

Time to go medicate. :D

Yeah, I always have to break up my response.

"Well, the actual brew day takes about 5-6 hours, but then it can ferment and age anywhere between two weeks and many months, depending on the recipe."

"God, that's so long. I could do it if it was one or two hours."

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if my fun hobby kept me entertained for less time. :confused:

"God, that's so long. I could do it if it was one or two hours."

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if my fun hobby kept me entertained for less time. :confused:

Heck, it usually takes me an hour or two just to prepare for brew day! I usually take my time and tinker/putz around too much!

Heck, it usually takes me an hour or two just to prepare for brew day! I usually take my time and tinker/putz around too much!

I clean my equipment while whirlpooling, and then I scrub my kettle before storage. Not a lot of prep for me.

It helps that I bought my wife a separate stick lighter and thermopen, so mine stay in the brew gear basket now. ;)

I clean my equipment while whirlpooling, and then I scrub my kettle before storage. Not a lot of prep for me.

It helps that I bought my wife a separate stick lighter and thermopen, so mine stay in the brew gear basket now. ;)

LOL... Had to buy my girlfriend baking soda because she bakes a lot, but kept forgetting to buy it after she moved in... So she kept using the box I use for water adjustments. But other than that, my equipment and other stuff stays where it's supposed to :mug:

LOL... Had to buy my girlfriend baking soda because she bakes a lot, but kept forgetting to buy it after she moved in... So she kept using the box I use for water adjustments. But other than that, my equipment and other stuff stays where it's supposed to :mug:

Ironically this past Sunday I dropped my stick lighter into the mash and it wouldn't work after, even when I star san'd and dried it. Some things are beyond mortal power to fix, I guess.

So I ended up borrowing hers to finish the brew day. Hopefully I didn't start a trend of willy-nilly borrowing.

Back to the topic at hand...

The other day I caught a cab out to Home Depot to buy some concrete so I could cement in a metal strut I placed in a brick wall. I'd cut a hole so my beer shanks could be less than 12 inches... for some reason the cabbie felt the need to ask what I was doing.

His response? "Oh, you gotta invite me over to help you test it out. It's legal, right?"

OK, buddy...

Ironically this past Sunday I dropped my stick lighter into the mash and it wouldn't work after, even when I star san'd and dried it. Some things are beyond mortal power to fix, I guess.

So I ended up borrowing hers to finish the brew day. Hopefully I didn't start a trend of willy-nilly borrowing.

Back to the topic at hand...

The other day I caught a cab out to Home Depot to buy some concrete so I could cement in a metal strut I placed in a brick wall. I'd cut a hole so my beer shanks could be less than 12 inches... for some reason the cabbie felt the need to ask what I was doing.

His response? "Oh, you gotta invite me over to help you test it out. It's legal, right?"

OK, buddy...

Why would you star San a lighter?

they "wow, can you make a bud light?"
me "I'd drink a soda or water before a bud light"

they "can I have some?"
me "sure, c'mon over" (I have converted one Linenkugel beer drinker into a dopplebock beer lover and he learned how to homebrew as well)

I have actually put on a class on how to do it in my home for 3 people maximum.
Of course, we drink samples. I've actually started about 6 people homebrewing.

Lately I've been getting a lot of "what's the shelf life of your beer?"
I should just say, "oh, it lasts pretty long" but I can't resist a long sermon on ABV percentage, lovibond rating, mixed fermentation, and IBUs.

Lately I've been getting a lot of "what's the shelf life of your beer?"
I should just say, "oh, it lasts pretty long" but I can't resist a long sermon on ABV percentage, lovibond rating, mixed fermentation, and IBUs.

That's pretty cool! I thought I was the only idiot doing that kind of stuff and usually they have no idea of what your talking about.

I work from home & don't get out a lot, so when I encounter adult humans in the world, I tend to get a bit over-conversational, especially regarding beer.

I've told my neighbors if they get tired of me talking to them, just say something. "hey, it's been great, I gotta go" would be nice, but "do you ever ****ing stop?" wouldn't offend me

That's pretty cool! I thought I was the only idiot doing that kind of stuff and usually they have no idea of what your talking about.
Last week somebody asked me this and I went on for like 15 minutes. Finally he was like, "Uh... okay, cool, I guess. So that Australian Sparkling Ale you gave me two weeks ago... that's still safe to drink?"

Came here because I essentially ONLY get either low interest (friends just being polite), or questions like "is that legal? does it actually have alcohol in it?" or other misinformed responses!

Frustrating! How does one acquire friends who are actually interested in beer? It may be local homebrew club time -- lol.

How does one acquire friends who are actually interested in beer? It may be local homebrew club time -- lol.

If you have too many friends already, already know everything there is to know about brewing beer, hate talking about beer and hate saving money then you need to stay far away from the homebrew club.

Had someone the other day (employee at liquor store) ask me "so you've got the still and everything?" - I just shook my head and walked away.

j

Guys doing the water and sewer construction in town saw me brewing. One came up and said "So you make homebrew swill?" I challenged him to come by after work for a beer tasting in blind glasses(red solo cups). I poured a Miller Lite(blech borrowed from a friend, I refuse to buy it), a Budweiser(borrowed), and a glass of my house ale. He tasted all 3 then said mine was best, the rest of the other 6 guys picked mine too. So I told them all they just drank a fresh homebrew and not a beer that has been caned and sterilized by heat then sat on a shelf or in a warehouse for 3 months. 2 of the 6 are coming back fro brewing lessons and to figure out what they should buy to get started. Especially when I pointed out that glass of homebrew they all tasted cost me 25 cents to make instead of $1.50+++ a glass!

In general, I don't voluntarily offer that I'm a home brewer. Depending on the situation and the context, if it is brought up it is usually by my wife or a friend. The response is almost always the same: "Really?" And then pretty much silence. Beyond that, the majority of people have no concept of what home brewed beer is, much less the process, and consequently are at a loss to know what to say about it.

Had someone the other day (employee at liquor store) ask me "so you've got the still and everything?" - I just shook my head and walked away.

j

I get that one a lot. "Uhhh, you got a still in yer basement?"

The kooky old dude across the street came over one Saturday last month when I was brewing in my garage. He spotted the copper IC sitting in a bucket. "I knew you had a still! I knew it!"

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

I get that one a lot. "Uhhh, you got a still in yer basement?"

The kooky old dude across the street came over one Saturday last month when I was brewing in my garage. He spotted the copper IC sitting in a bucket. "I knew you had a still! I knew it!"

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

I've seen quite a few people that want to argue what the laws are concerning homebrewing and distilling (often equating the two). Some think homebrewing is illegal, others that distilling is legal in their state. Print-outs of federal or state statutes do not convince the most stubborn.

I've seen quite a few people that want to argue what the laws are concerning homebrewing and distilling (often equating the two). Some think homebrewing is illegal, others that distilling is legal in their state. Print-outs of federal or state statutes do not convince the most stubborn.

It's futile arguing with someone who has a GED in law.

The "is it legal?" question comes up a lot but then once they try the beer they ask if I sell it and distribute.

Me: "No my friend, THAT is illegal!"

I think I've had to explain this concept to nearly every single one of my friends that I share beer with.... multiple times! That's why so many homebrewers start breweries!

Another frequent exchange-

Them: "How do you drink it? Like a from a big keg and tap?"

Me: "No, I bottle it."

This is where their mind does mental flips to conceive of how one puts liquid into a sealed glass vessel. It's funny to watch people's faces contort with grappling with the idea of putting homebrewed beer in a BOTTLE, something they've drank beer from their whole adult lives.

Them: "Wait... so how you seal it and get the caps on? You must have a big bottling line or pressing machine?"

Me: "Nope. Hand-press." *mimicking the bottle capping press with my two hands.*

This only leaves them more confused that such a simple object exists and that one could master it. SMH... some people think the beer just magically makes its way into a bottle...

What annoys me is when I see someone drink a homebrew (even a comm. craft brew) right from the bottle. Which is why when serving someone one of mine, I always pour it into a glass for them, leaving them no option but to admire the color, the head, the lacing, and the aroma. And obviously, the taste. A homebrew is IMO much tastier from a glass. Much.

What annoys me is when I see someone drink a homebrew (even a comm. craft brew) right from the bottle. Which is why when serving someone one of mine, I always pour it into a glass for them, leaving them no option but to admire the color, the head, the lacing, and the aroma. And obviously, the taste. A homebrew is IMO much tastier from a glass. Much.

I've told my dad this a million times, pointing out that he's gonna stir up all the sediment (which unfortunately there's a fair amount sometimes). He always shrugs and says he doesn't really care about that. I don't have much of a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is that when I bring a case to share at family gatherings, he goes around handing bottles to everyone. So they all end up drinking from the bottle and I'm not right there to tell them all to pour it.... frustrating.

I'm going to start kegging soon and bottling off there, so it won't matter :rockin:

I've told my dad this a million times, pointing out that he's gonna stir up all the sediment (which unfortunately there's a fair amount sometimes). He always shrugs and says he doesn't really care about that. I don't have much of a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is that when I bring a case to share at family gatherings, he goes around handing bottles to everyone. So they all end up drinking from the bottle and I'm not right there to tell them all to pour it.... frustrating.

I'm going to start kegging soon and bottling off there, so it won't matter :rockin:

I apologize in advance for this post.

I wish my dad was still around.

Carry on.

Me too. My dad is still around, but riddled with Alzheimers and is a "recovering" alcoholic so I can't give him my beer. I kick myself a lot wishing I had started this hobby several years ago, he would have loved being a part of it. Yes I know that doesn't make much sense, but he had a drinking problem BECAUSE of the Alzheimers, as well as marriage issues (a whole nother kettle of nasty fish).

BOT - when I first started I was happy to give away bottles of what I had brewed...now the co-workers are irritated with me because it's a pain to bottle off the keg and share. At least that's what I tell them...I just want to keep it all to myself. This week I found out another co-worker is a budding home-brewer and grows hops in his backyard....trying to get him to join me in an all-grain brew (he's doing partial mash but is intrigued).

Carry on.

Me too. Mine will be gone one year on the 18th of this month. Hard to believe it's already been a year.

He lived to be 91 years old and was in relatively good health his entire life! He was also my best friend. We had the best father/daughter relationship!:rockin:

I am lucky I still have my dad. He had a surgery a few months ago and it knocked him for a loop. The anesthesia was brutal and he ended up getting a clot in his lung and he coded twice. It put him in the nursing home for three months and he couldn't function or even get out of bed. He made a miraculous recovery and he was able to come home, thank God. He is doing better now and at least I still have him around. I am very thankful and I treasure the time I still have with him. He is a special man and an awesome father.

John

Lost my dad 4 years ago, his heart just stopped... then he hit a semi head on but they think he was dead before he hit. He had a very enlarged heart(hereditary... mine is enlarged too) and the doc said they can just stop out of the blue. he was 72 and still working full time and on his way to a job site. Semi driver wasn't injured thankfully!

Carry on.

I lost my dad in 2016, and my mom earlier this year. The one-two punch within a year was tough. Miss 'em both, dammit.

My dad used to look forward to me visiting, carrying a box with an assortment of homebrews. Mom loved the EdWort's apfelwein I made.

Back