Setting MM2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewIt

Reaction score
Hi I just bought a monster mill MM2 and was wondering what everyone had the rollers set at. Was just wondering what was the best gap for efficiency. Also I am planning on running it with a cordless drill. I know you want to keep it as a slower speed, but wasnt sure what RPM was appropriate. I searched the forum but didnt find anything. Thanks for any input.

Thanks,
Dave

If it is difficult to start using any drill it isn't properly set. It is kinked. You have to make sure each side is set at the same gap. So GAO left then gap right.

I run around 150 to 200 rpm. My drill has a lock button on it and doing a quick guess of counting spins it's around there, about 3 times a second it turns.

If it is difficult to start using any drill it isn't properly set. It is kinked. You have to make sure each side is set at the same gap. So GAO left then gap right.

I'm a mechanic so I know all about setting the gap correctly. Thanks though.

I set mine around .04 , but my little drill needs to get revved up to grind at this gap setting. Just need an excuse to buy a more powerful drill now. :)

I have mine at .038 but I would suggest starting out at .04 since the knurling on the rollers is quite aggressive. IME my first 3-4 batches at .04 were great, then once the sharpness of the fresh knurling wore down I went down to .038.

I have mine at .038 but I would suggest starting out at .04 since the knurling on the rollers is quite aggressive. IME my first 3-4 batches at .04 were great, then once the sharpness of the fresh knurling wore down I went down to .038.

Very good. That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

I too used the factory preset on my MM2 for the first 5 or 6 brews then tightened it up just a bit (.38 i think, can't remember exactly though). As for drills, yeah, slower is better, around 200 rpms. If you don't already have a drill I'd suggest a corded drill with at least 9 amps. My 12 V cordless Dewalt couldn't handle it and I've gone through two cheapo corded drills so i finally spent some coin on a 10 amp Kobalt - that thing rocks. First time I've been able to consistently run at slow speed through the whole grain bill.

Back