What does boiling water accomplish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hey everyone, here is my Delima . I usually brew from fresh spring water from a tap out in the wilderness. The brew comes out amazing every time. However I do not have the time to go get it today and I'm considering boiling tap water. What will this accomplish? How long should I boil it before brewing my beer?

Thanks.

Jason

I would hate to overextend my credibility, from what I have read/heard, boiling will rid the water of lighter chemicals like chlorine. Besides that and sanitation I'm not sure. Questions I have reside about water hardness and reductions to water purity.

Ps. Boiling is always ok. Scummy pond water boiled will make good beer. Gypsum and yeast nutrients are another

Boiling will kill bacteria. It may precipitate bicarbonate, but then you'd have to siphon off the precipitate.

Otherwise, I don't see any reason to boil.

I use tap water. The only boil I do is the wort boil.

To answer your question, boiling kills germs/bacteria and dissipates any air suspended in solution.

Boiling will rid the chlorine, which is nasty stuff. Otherwise you can let the water sit out overnight in buckets or something, and the chlorine will evaporate off.

Boiling the wort is sufficient to drive off the chlorine and kill harmfull bacteria. Getting rid of the bacteria is really only temporary since you are introducing your own that you hope to overwhelm any competing colonies that may occur. I do tend to boil my wort longer than the prescribed hour but I also start with more water than originally called for and boilt it to reach the required volume. I think it intensifies the flavor profile but that is just my opinion and not supported by any empirical data either.... Have a great brew weekend!!!!
Wheelchair Bob

Are you on a well system or city water?

I use well water without any problems. I think city water tends to have chlorine and or other chemicals from the treatment process which is one reason to boil it but it really doesn't matter too much. Hey, you might even find you like the tap water beer better than that fancy bottled water beer.

If you are really concerned, you may look into a water filtration system.

Boil water to kill Bacteria (which you will do anyway brewing), and to precipitate "free" chlorine out if your municipal WA uses it, unfortunately most MA are switching to Chloramine which will only boil out after MANY hours (according to my municpal supplier). Campden works quicker in that respect, and more completely. Just half tab for 10 gallons works.

I've brewed with well water and city water... never had an issue. Never boiled it before.

I've never boiled, but I do use campden tablets as mentioned above. Your results may vary, but I seem to get better efficiency this way. I suspect there is enough chlorine/chloramine in my tap water that it's inhibiting enzyme activity in the mash.

I use city tap water for all my beers and everything seems ok except for the weird unexplained twitches and seizures I've started having since I started brewing. I'm just kidding...I can't remember what book it was in (maybe Papazian's?) that said a general rule is if your water is OK to drink it'll make beer just fine. That said, I wouldn't worry about boiling tap water, just brew away.

Back