What are your favorite Hops and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeguy07

Reaction score
So I'm interested in doing a lot of brewing, I started brewing from extract. And am now into doing a partial mash and have tried some Cascade hops, and that Amber ale turned out great... So my question is...

What are your Favorite Hops and why so?

That's going to depend on the brew. I'm into American Ales and American Brown Ales right now so I'm using Cascade and Amarillo.
If I'm making an Irish Stout, it's probably Kent Goldings.

Narrow down the type of brew and you'll probably get more answers.

I prefer english and noble hops. but i prefer english/irish/scottish/german/belgian beers.

if i had to pick 3:
fuggle
golding
saaz

1. Centennial
2. Fuggles
3. Amarillo
4. Cascades
5. Williamette

Keep these on hand and you can cover a lot of the styles I like to drink at least

Sorachi Ace, Simcoe, Nugget, Saaz, And Citra. Love 'em!

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

The Santiam I will be growing myself this year.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm an American IPA man, so:

Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Amarillo, Columbus.

The more alpha acids, the better.

I haven't gotten my hands on Sorachi Ace or Millennium yet, but I want to.

Centennial! Can't get enough of that tangerine goodness.

For a noble type of hops... French strisselspalt rocks.

Of the variety ive used, the german ones seem to come out better.I still have a tough time distinguishing hops flavors aroma depends on the freshness too.Like the post above i did all centeniall in a few beers only got citrus.

I enjoy American IPA hops as have been mentioned. But, I thought I would throw in EKG. I've brewed a Jubelale clone and am drinking an English IPA right now, both with EKG. I love the fruity flavor and aroma.

Need to find more recipes featuring EKG!

I love all hops when used in the right situation

Since nobody has picked a New World hop... Pacific Gem is great!

emjay said:
Centennial! Can't get enough of that tangerine goodness.

For a noble type of hops... French strisselspalt rocks.

Oh, how could I forget...

Nelson Sauvin is a pretty amazing variety as well.

So you're brewing an IPA. What hops would choose if you wanted to add an aroma hops at flameout? What hops would you dry hop with?

Summit, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Cascade, Chinook, Willamette, Mt. Hood
All are great for dry hopping or flameout in an IPA

Favorite depend on the brew but the hops i use predominantly are

Centenial
Cascade
Saaz (US)
Hallertauer
Mt. Hood

1) I use Magnum for my bittering, I find it to be amazingly smoothe, especially if you FWH
2) I use a lot of centennial, I just love the aroma and flavors it brings to a beer!
3) I have been using a blend of equal parts EKG, Willamette, and Fuggles, it started as the dregs in the freezer to do a basic English ale, but I have taken to using it in many of my recipes lately.
4) Sorachi ace in a fruit or ginger beer for 30 minute or less additions, I love the blend the lemon flavors with stone fruit or berries. and with fresh ginger it is out of the park!

hey thanks for all the info on here guys now its time to head out to the brew shop and see what i can find. I really enjoy an IPA and it seems many of you do also so that will be my next brew.

My favs are Magnum for bittering and Simcoe for flavor/aroma.

German Magnum
Cascade
Hallertauer
These are the ones I like cause I only used about 15 different kinds. I have 2# of Magnum and Cascade in the freezer right now. They will be my spring/summer hops

Right now if I "had" to pick one its Centennial, just cause I find it to be very very close to cascade, but it goes a little further as a bittering hop.

Now, that said I got my very first ever bag of simcoe day before yesterday, made a beer with it last night. Havnt tasted it yet but the pellets smelled DIVINE!

Oh, and come on? we all need a saazer every now and then. Cant make a pilsner taste right with anything else.

Now, that said I got my very first ever bag of simcoe day before yesterday, made a beer with it last night. Havnt tasted it yet but the pellets smelled DIVINE!

The best thing with the aroma/flavor descriptor "cat pee" that you'll ever drink!

No love for Glacier? I love the aroma. Centennial and cascade are great too.

Back