Cider Tastes Sour and smells horrible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
this is after 6 days in fermenter. i took a sample from the spigot and it tasted horrible and was yellow. is this normal? did i most likely get a lot of yeast in it?

I usually wait until things are done to try them. If it still tastes terrible in 2 months, then maybe you messed something up.

oh well only cost me $9 for the whole batch worst case scenario is i dump it. grocery store had langers apple juice on sale for $1 a bottle and the packet of yeast cost $4

Hi Sportscazy2
I am new to the forums but I have made wine and cider on and off for years.
If you put it through a press then it will clear fairly quickly (that is usually what I do) but this years I did a short cut and minced the apples then started it on the mush for 4 days.
When it was less foamy I put it through a nylon bag and into a bucket with an airlock.
Thatwas about 27th Oct and it's still bubbling well. I rather expect it to take much longer to clear than the juice which was pretty clear in a couple of months..... we shall see.

Val

Smells horrible... like what sort of horrible?
Vinegary?
Moldy?
Bready/yeasty?
Sulphury?

Thanks

John

Update on starting on minced apples that didn't go through the press.
Statred 23rd Oct and four days on the mush.
Put through a straining bag, but only had a rough one and left the cider thickish and very cloudy.
It was working well, though so I left it until today 6th Nov and poured it through a fine cloth. Got lots of mush out and put it into demis.
Should clear OK now... but better to use pressed juice... much less trouble.

But it was an experiment and it will turn out OK, I think.
Gravity this morning is 1.000 so will leave to clear.

Val

Smells horrible... like what sort of horrible?
Vinegary?
Moldy?
Bready/yeasty?
Sulphury?
This is important.
Sulphury = can be dealt with
Bready/yeasty = same
Moldy = worse, but may be recoverable
Vinegary = just walk away.

Hi Sportscazy2
I am new to the forums but I have made wine and cider on and off for years.
If you put it through a press then it will clear fairly quickly (that is usually what I do) but this years I did a short cut and minced the apples then started it on the mush for 4 days.
When it was less foamy I put it through a nylon bag and into a bucket with an airlock.
Thatwas about 27th Oct and it's still bubbling well. I rather expect it to take much longer to clear than the juice which was pretty clear in a couple of months..... we shall see.

Most random comment ever, welcome to the forums :D

YAY! I got the most randon comment and didn't even try. (lol)

Thatnks for the welcome.
You will get used to me in time... I always make random comments.

Val

It could be that the smell your smelling is the traditional smell of rhino farts, just search it on here, it's quite normal. That smell will settle out. The sourness may have come from the amount of dissolved CO2 in solution, or it might have been the type of juice you used. You will find out when it's done! Just relax until it's finished :)

this is after 6 days in fermenter. QUOTE]

I defy anyone to take a sample after 6 days ferment and tell me it's something they would use to convince others that homebrewing could produce high quality beverages comparable to commercially available product.

6 days. At 6 days your yeast is probably going crazy, having doubled/tripled/whatevered its population. You basically tasted apples that are being deliberately rotted inside a glass of yeast starter. Even a yeast starter on its own is not a pleasant drink you'd offer to your guests before dinner.

Important for you to sample all the way through ferment to understand the proceses as intuitively andtactiley as possible but don't judge a finished product that can take months to come good after 6 days.

Latest posts

Back